Do you think a kid should be taken away from their parents' custody if that parent attempted suicide ?

umbrella

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 1:47 AM on Apr. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think you can say an absolute yes here. It should be a case by case basis. If there is a parent that is stable then I think the child should stay in the home. If the suicidal parent is alone in raising the child then perhaps the child would be better off going to friends/family. But that could also backfire because sometimes the only thing stopping a person from committing suicide is the children. Of course the child's well being is most important. So again, it should be decided on a case by case basis.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:14 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• No, but they should be required to have another adult in the home and take mandatory counseling 1-3x a week
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 1:53 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I've worked in child services before... That's not enough to take kids away from a home unless there's irrefutable evidence that the children are in danger. Right now all you've got is self-endanger of the mom. Suicides are sometimes attempted by moms who suffer from postpartum depression; it doesn't mean they're crazy or incapable of parenting; it just means they need help to learn how to cope. So if this were a real case, the family would be opened, services would be in place for mom *coping, depression, meds, etc* & perhaps for the rest of the family *stress, role model, PTSD, etc*. Only if clear child endangerment or blatant & willful + constant behavior exhibited by the mom can the children be removed from the home, & even then, that still requires child services to petition a court to prove the mom's permanently unfit to raise the children in a safe & loving environment.
    domesticrecluse

Answer by domesticrecluse at 3:36 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I will give my opinion with another question. Wouldn't an attempted suicide be considered child endangerment? For example, if I tried to do something along those lines (I personally never would, my own opinions which I'll not share here) what would/could happen to my 5 year old and 1 year old until someone found my body? I'll probably catch flak for this, but depression is so selfish and self centered. It's all about me. "I'm so sad! I wish I was dead! Nobody likes/loves me!" (notice a pattern here?) As a mother/father, you are now responsible for innocent lives that are DEPENDANT ON YOU~ If you need help, then get help!!

As for children, until you can be a responsible adult/parent, yes the kids should be removed.
    Cristi1004

Answer by Cristi1004 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Yes, at least until they get some help.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:53 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I would say the child should go live with a family member while their parent is getting help. Once the parent is completely cured, the child should be released back into the parent's custody with close supervision by another adult. It can harm the child emotionally and we don't need that.
    giuliana.79

Answer by giuliana.79 at 2:04 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• yeah until that parent gets some help
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 2:23 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Temporarily, yes. The parent should be evaluated before being reunited with the child.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 3:27 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Not as long as the parent is getting help and taking the prescribed medications. If the parent fails or refuses medication and mental help then yes, the child should be placed with a loving family member until the parent complies.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:06 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• No. I think they should have to get the child some help and prove they are doing it.

Answer by gemgem at 9:08 AM on Apr. 24, 2011