grinding teeth

i have a two year old little girl and i have no idea how to get her to stop grinding her teeth! she doesn't do it at night, it's mostly during the day. we have talked to her about "not making that noise" and it will "hurt your teeth" but i don't know how to teach her not to do this. at this point we belive it has became a habit and she doesn't even relise she is doing it. she is to young for a mouth peice i think and even if she isn't she is doing it when she is awake not in her sleep. do you all think she will grow out of it or should we just keep persisting with trying to tell her not to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• my child doesn't have teeth yet, but i guess if i were in your situation i would talk to her pediatrician or a dentist. sometimes kids grind their teeth, but there aren't any real consequences. then there are some kids who grind their teeth and seriously need a mouth piece to stop any continuing damage. i used to grind my teeth a lot.. but my teeth are fine. no braces, mouth pieces, cavities or misshapen teeth. chewing gum might've helped me out with that as a kid, but i doubt you can give candy to a two year old. it could just be something she does now and will soon grow out of and forget about, or it could now be the start of an annoying habit. every child is different.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 11:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• All the years I have worked in dentistry, I have been taught that children grinding their teeth is very common and not to be worried about like we would if it were an adult having problems with grinding their teeth. My daughter did it at night for many years, but now she is nearly a teen and doesn't do it anymore. It really shouldn't pose any health threat...but it is pretty awful to listen to. I've always been taught it is normal and they'll grow out of it.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2008