Can Vaginal Checks cause you to dilate?

Can vaginal checks cause you to dilate more? I'm already dilated to 2cm but since my doc appointment I've felt some pressure/pain in that area. She checked me days ago. I've lost some mucus though I now that grows back so not sure if the pressure /vice like feeling is more dilation or what.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 2:18 AM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It is possible. Were they rough at all with the exam? It's not 100% that is can lead to dilation, but it can. Or you could be dilating, and it has nothing to do with the exam.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:23 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• It did hurt a lot when she did it.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 2:24 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I'm not sure but it can sure get the ball rolling. I was a week late with my 1st son, had a vaginal check and the dr. accidentally broke my water. I never dilated and after 15 hrs of hard back labor I ended up having an emergency c-section.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:24 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I say yes it does, I was 1 cm when the dr checked me then started to spot which he said was normal, had pain and what not then I had my son the next day.
    lilgurl5435

Answer by lilgurl5435 at 2:40 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• It can. Did she just do a check or did she strip your membranes as well? Sometimes that can help things along and can be somewhat painful - though it didn't work for me at all.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:45 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Just checked. I wouldn't have let her strip membranes.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 2:46 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Yes, the irritation caused to the cervix can cause dilation. That's one reason midwives don't do them very often, if at all (some won't do them, period).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:39 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• my opinion is when its time your body does the work unless you have a complication...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 2:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I had a midwife who scraped my membranes to help encourage labor so yes being checked can help to dialate.
    Cristi1004

Answer by Cristi1004 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2011