What makes more sense? Sell or not sell?

Right now, my folks have PoA of our minivan while we are overseas. We've been gone 2 of our 3 years and don't know where we'd be next after our final year is up. I FINALLY have a license and though it's not on the correct side of the road for stateside, the minivan would be mine when we got back.

Turns out, my mom tells me the battery if fully dead and I need a new one. They haven't really cared for it at all and now the idea has come up that we MIGHT want to extend our stay overseas. Don't know what we get till a few months before we leave so the latest idea is to get rid of the van or not.

We can sell it now and get our money's worth, maybe get a new vehicle later, but we never know if the money would go to something else and we later end up with no vehicle. Or we can just keep it till the 3 years is up...I mean, what's another year and see where we end up to see if we can sell it then or not.

Hubby isn't really giving me input so I am taking charge, in a way. It would've been my vehicle eventually, so I need to see if I should keep it or not. I don't know so I bring the question here.

What makes more sense? Keep it and see where we end up in a year and let my parents let it sit for the period (might not be safe to drive if it's not been cared for for 3 years and I have 4 kids)...OR sell it now and hope we can afford a newer vehicle whenever we get back stateside?!? TIA for any input.

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 7:57 AM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• I sold my car before we went overseas. I knew it was going to be too much of a hassle. However, since you have already been there for two years and it will be paid off soon, I would probably just keep it. Do you have a friend or another family member that you trust that would actually take care of it or at least take it for an oil change, inspection, and tune up?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:20 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Have they used the van lately?  If not the gas in the gas tank will go bad. And it wont start then either.  We were in germany for 3 years and we put my DH's truck in storage for the whole 3 years.  When we got back we had to pay to get a new gas tank put in it.

I say sell it and buy a new car later.

Answer by louise2 at 8:24 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I'd probably keep it especially if it's paid for. Battery costs less than $100.00.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:19 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• We still owe on the loan for the van...it will be paid off by Feb 2012. As for the gas...no idea. I'm thinking I'll call my mom up when we're both coherent for the time issue and discuss my options further. Didn't think about the gas thing...was just thinking safety for my kids in a sitting vehicle.
    Imortlmommy

Comment by Imortlmommy (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• It's very bad to let a vehicle just sit. The battery, gas and tires go bad. Who knows if an animal has nested in it? If your parents cannot take proper care of it (start it and drive it up and down the street once a week) then I say sell it. The van will only depreciate in value. Go ahead, sell it, get your money back. put it in a savings account and leave the money alone.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• The van needs to be driven to keep all the rest of it running. Buy the battery, have the folks start it up and drive it once a week. If they can do that, keep the vehicle.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2011