Well my husband decided that it would be great if we let the kids have a kitten. Well he thought that w eshould actually get 2. How do I keep them from climbing all over my furniture with their claws, and also what can I do to keep them out of my Christmas tree. I hate to put them outside with since it is freezing but I may have too.

Jacemom

Asked by Jacemom at 9:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pets

• ARGH....he should have really discussed this with you first. I hate when people get animals and then can't or won't take care of them.

As soon as they're old enough, get them declawed. If you don't want to go that route they make these rubber caps you glue onto the tips of their nails. They last a few weeks and then you glue more on again. Get them a scratching post...covered in rope...not carpet. Cats don't like scratching carpet, lol.

PLEASE don't put the kittens out in the cold!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• You can get them some toys or their own cat scratcher. We have Kitty condos (what we call them) and they tend to stay in them and scratch the poles as long as their taught to. As for the christmas tree I have 2 kittens waiting on home and have had problems with them. The older cats dont do that anymore and its something they do outgrow. Just tell them no or put them in a room if they cant stop for awhile (kitty time out). I use the bathroom and they have the catbox and food in there so they are ok. Then I let them out and like kids they seem to forget what they were doing lol.
    Also on declawing. Its a good idea to do only if you intend to never have them go outdoors. I had my female cat declawed by the vet explained she couldnt never go out again bc she cant defend herself.

Answer by gemgem at 9:26 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• dont declaw them! just get the plastic nail caps. and i dont really know what to say about the tree. i know that there is a spray that repells dogs from things. we had a dog that would chew on everything. we sprayed our furniture (and my shoes lol) and he never bothered it again. she if it works for cats too
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 9:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• That's the reason why I have only a table top tree. I used to have a 6 footer christmas tree. The cats would find favorite perches within the tree.
    I have diabetes and all my kitties have to have a 4 paw declaw. Peroid. Enough said.
    PreciousRosebud

Answer by PreciousRosebud at 3:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• THEY SELL THESE NEW CAP CLAWS FOR CATS THEY COME IN COOL COLORS THEY LOOK LIKE FAKE NAILS THEY STAY ON FOR 3 MONTHS THEY ARE LIKE $ 20.00 MOST VETS HAVE THEM ! OR USE A SPRAY BOTTLE ON THEM !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Welcome to owning cats....or should I say....welcome to being owned by cats! LOL I actually had my cat declawed. I was nervous about it since she was a little older, but I brought her home from the vet that night and figured she'd be in a lot of pain...she never acted like it phased her. I dont' know about the cap things....I can't imagine my "Kenny Kat" letting me put that on him....I'd look like shredded news paper probably. If you decide on declawing, make sure you know your vet and that they aren't butchers. Some vets suck, just like doctors do. The tree thing.....hahahaha everyone's cats get in the tree....they've waited all year...it's Christmas for goodness sakes !!!!
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 1:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• for the christmas tree trouble i use a citrus smelling candle and i don't light it but leave it under the tree. they HATE citrusy smelling stuff. put two or three strong ones under your tree. the cat will leave it alone!
    MamaDiedrich

Answer by MamaDiedrich at 2:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2008