Why are kids so fragile nowadays? adult content

When I was a kid I was aloud to "roam" the neighborhood. It wasn't uncommon on the weekends that I would leave home early in the am and not be back until the street lights came on. I spent most of my childhood playing outside.

This wasn't just me either, most of my friends did this too.

Now, it's different. Kids never play outside anymore. My own kids cry and act like they are dying if I tell them to play in the backyard for more than 5 minutes so I feel sorry for them and let them back inside immediately. I mean, maybe there's something I don't understand. If they are acting like that it must be pretty bad for them or doing unseen harm. So in they come and in they stay, even if I don't get it.

We have a very nice backyard with swings and play equipment. We live in Fl, no snow! and it's beautiful this time a year. (or so I think) But as far as the kids? Too hot or too cold. The sun is too bright or the grass is too green.

I use to play in below 0 weather in the snow for hours! In the summer it was the same! (only no snow, temps in the 80s, lol) My parent use to tell me come home when the street lights came on and I always waited to the last second.

I know the world is different now, you can't let your kids roam or be out of your site. But when did kids become "allergic" to be outside?

It's not just kids either. I hear parents telling their kids all the time, you can't play outside cause it's too cold or hot or cloudy. The weather is never right to be able to go outside.

So, I'm stuck inside with the kids who are destroying my house (bored?) Will they go outside with me? Nope. The weather isn't perfect yet, it might kill them?

Am I miss something? Can someone set me straight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It's not the kids- it's the parents
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• No idea, My kids prefer to be outside!!! And (gasp) my kids run all day long with their friends, We have the town park which is a block away in the summer they all have pool passes and are usually down there. But yeah people are to scared to let their kids be kids, i understand that there are creepers out there but i still dont get the hovering parenting.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I think kids are "bored" now days because they have too many options. My son is the same way......its hot there is nothing to do outside. He is 14 - we live 1 block from a little corner store and he won't walk there he ask for a ride. WHAT? I walked to school, our corner store was about 6 blocks away and walked to it!

brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:17 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• We allow it to happen. Same problem here at my house, but sometimes I make them go outside and often once they are out they stay out for a couple of hours. As a child I hated being outside for lots of reasons but I had to go outside and play (I had several siblings).
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:17 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• yeah, i guess id agree there^^
    maybe its whether or not you choose to give in? Im not sure. . .
    JordanRochelle

Answer by JordanRochelle at 10:18 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• My kids played outside roller blading walking from place to place to play going to the park and sometimes the library as kids we did the same it was better for us to spend all weekend and half the week outside if we stayed in my mom would give us chores to do. it sucked so my kids enjoyed playing outside we would also play soccor in the street start with three end up with twenty. Not anymore out here its so sad.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I live in the metro city of Atlanta, there is no way in hell i will let my child "roam the streets" until night falls.

Too much freedom was a bad thing for me. I use to roam the streets & play outside all day long too. I was also doing things i should not have been doing, because i was unsupervised. I should have been more supervised. I was 11 years old the first time someone passed me a joint. I was hanging outside at the football field with all the other kids who play outside all day.

My daughter definitely gets outside. We live across the street from a bitchin park. The neighborhood kids meet up (the parents are all there too) and they play for hours. I have a garden & she helps me work on that too. We go camping, hiking, fishing...you name it...

We make sure she gets out because we get out WITH her & enjoy the outdoors together as a family.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:19 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• The world was just as dangerous back then just information is more readily available it seems more dangerous.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Well mine arent allowed to wander the neighborhood like I used to, for obvious reasons. But they do play outside. I think it is a learned behavior. I have always sent mine outside to play and they love it. They use their imaginations, play ball, wrestle etc. My boys even had bb guns and would go outside and shoot at trees and rocks. They played in large dirt piles and even lost their shoes once in one of them.
    If you dont let them go out to play from a young age, they wont. If you have too many other things for them to do anything like a game station or computer, why would they want to go out? You have to limit their time on those things as well.

Answer by gemgem at 10:22 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I hear about this problem, but I've never experienced it. I hate rainy days mainly because then I get to hear, "Can I go outside? Can we go to the park? Can I PLEEEEEEEEAAAASSSEEE go outside?", all day long.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:24 AM on Apr. 24, 2011