My three year old son...

My three year old son has been wearing underwear and peeing in the potty for about 4 months now. But, he is still pooping in his underwear. We have tried everything... Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Both my dds were that way. I would just see if you cant identify when hes pooping (you know they hied or make a face etc) and then run him to the toilet and put him on it. Thats how we did it with our dd's and they stopped pooping their pants in no time. You also have to let him see you flush it and that it is ok to do. For some reason some kids have this idea that their poop is a part of them, like a finger or toe and they dont like to flush. Weird right? Its true though. Once he sees its yucky and over emphasize the ewwww gross yucky then he might get it.

Answer by gemgem at 9:21 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I agree with the last answer. My daughter did the same thing but only for the first few weeks, and like she said, everytime I noticed that she was starting to poop, I immediatly ran her to the toliet and now she hasnt had a poop accident in over a month.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• You might also make sure he is not constipated this can cause an aversion to pooping in the potty because it hurts more to sit upright on the potty, than crouching and pooping in their diaper.(we have this issue here with my oldest who was a preemie) Hope that helps take care.
    2ltlangels

Answer by 2ltlangels at 8:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• We got ours a potty chair. He always went into our pantry and closed the door to poop but he would generally tell us to put a diaper on him first. Finally we just moved the potty chair into the pantry and refused to put the diaper on him and he did it. We made a big deal out of it with stickers and such.
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2008