How can I keep our new kittens from destroying my house?

My husband let my children hae 2 kittens. As if 1 would of not been enough. Anyway, how do I keeo them off of my furniture. They are climbing all over it. Using their claws, and also I am fixing to put up my Christma tree and I do not want them destroying it. Is there a way to keep my house from being ruin by these 2 kittens or should I kick them outside in the cold?

Jacemom

Asked by Jacemom at 9:21 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pets

• No you can't kick new baby kittens out! :O hehe just joking, we had a kitten when i was a girl, and there was only one room she could go in , the kitchen and we put a basket for her in there, as there was no things she could destroy and also tiled flooring so she could make a mess, etc. and it was fine. good luck with this!
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 9:45 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Have the kittens declawed. Some people think it is cruel but my cats are happy loving cats and can not tear up my furniture.
    maryhlangley

Answer by maryhlangley at 9:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• there really is no way of keeping them off your furniture its not like a dog. But if your talking about them clawing it then thats a different story. I am completely against declawing but if its that much of a problem then i suggest doing it. If you dont want to declaw then you need to get them a scratching post or a kitty condo and show them how to use it. Or just really watch them and when you see them clawing something they shouldnt be startle them by clapping or blow in their face and say no. Thats what i didnt to mine when they jumped on our counters or kitchen table and they no longer go up there. As for the tree thats a tricky thing. My female was the only one to ever do that. every year. I have givin up and just let her do it. The most harm i can see them doing it knocking off some ornaments right? I hope you are able to get throught this. You have to remember its going to take some time.
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 11:56 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Don't declaw, please. Seriously.

There are all sorts of things you can do to train them.

1. Take clove, mint, or orange oil (they hate all of them) and blend with water into a squirt bottle. Spray on furniture, drapes, and the tree.

2. Surround the tree (or anyplace they keep going where you don't want them) with aluminum foil. They hate the feel of it on their paws. You won't have to leave it there forever, about a week should break the habit.

3. Get claw covers. They're little plastic covers that slide right onto the cats nails and will last for about a month or more. I think you can order them online or pick them up at any pet-supply store.

4. If the cat is clawing or acting vicious due to stress, go to this website: www.onlynaturalpetstore.com and look up relaxi-herb and phero-soothe or bachs rescue remedy
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Honestly, it sounds like you're expecting the impossible from your kittens. I can pretty much guarantee that they will get in your tree. They are kittens, very different from puppies. They are not as trainable. I think you should lower your expectations or you're going to end up being very unhappy.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2008