How long into a relationship would you say that you knew someone well enough to consider marriage?

I am a wondering if there is a certain "point" in a relationship where you just "know", or if it is simply to early. I have been in a relationship for less than a year and he has mentioned marriage. I just want to be sure that he is sure. We are both divorced in our 30's with children from our previous marriage. Any ways to be be sure?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I would say between 6 months to a year. At least it is a good starting point, IMO.
    sunrisekn

Answer by sunrisekn at 11:56 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• i have been engaged twice and married once.
    i dont think there is a set time just whenever it feels right
    LovinMyJay4

Answer by LovinMyJay4 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• With my husband, I knew 6 months into the relationship that this was the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with....of course I didnt tell HIM that lol....but I just knew. He was everything that I never knew I had always been looking for lol...if that makes any sense...I think that when it comes to love and marriage....when you know, you know. You know? lol

Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• For me never
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• With my husband, I knew before he had even asked me to be his girlfriend. We had only known each other about a month.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I don't know how long it would get to take to get to know someone, because you really never know everything about them. You know when that person is the right one for you, in your gut. Good Luck to you :)
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 12:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• With children I say a min of 2 years. The first year we all are on our best behavior and all that. After a year the newness of a relationship starts to fade and we get more comfortable. If you have kids then you need to see each others true colors around the kids.

Answer by gemgem at 12:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• There is not set standard for that. I've read that you should date someone through all the seasons (a year) just to see if your expectations for certain things were compatible. Children definitely add an additional layer of concern - did you happen to see last week's Dr. Phil episode on blended families? My personal opinion is take your time, don't rush, if the relationship is meant to be it can handle a long 'dating' process.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• With me and my hubby it was our first kiss. But I knew him for 7 years prior to that, so that probably made things move a little faster.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• DH and I were talking about important decisions that go within marriage by 6 weeks. At 4 months we had already gone on a major road trip, he met my uncle (grandfather's baby brother and only living male relative in my family) and I met his friends. We looked at rings one day on that trip and didn't tell anyone, but my aunt told me that she wanted to be invited to the wedding. That is what worked for us.

I highly suggest a road trip or two before considering marriage. If you cannot stand being in a confined space with your partner for 2 weeks, I wouldn't consider marriage.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2011