Normal?

Okay, almost 6 years ago, I was in a really bad car accident... I was driving home from a night of dancing with my friends in my dad's truck (thank goodness, since mine had no airbags because it was old!)...It was about 2am. Some drunk idiot ran a red light, over 2 medians, and hit under the truck. The truck flipped 2 times, and was completely totalled with the exception of the area surrounding me, which was a miracle (the part around me actually was pushed OUT, while the rest collapsed in). No witnesses came to my car to check on me, which I found out later, after screaming for help, that it was because they all thought I had died, it was that bad...They needed to use the jaws of life to get me out (which, BTW, right after an accident like that, the LAST time you want to hear is the car crunching and glass breaking...). I ended up with 5 herniated discs in my back due to the accident.

Anyway, to this day, I still have nightmares about it quite frequently... I also tense up really bad and my heart skips beats any time that there's a situation where we need to hit the brakes quick. And anytime we watch a tv show or movie and there's a crash scene, I tense up, so much so that my body actually hurts when it's done. It's getting better, but it's still hard. In the beginning, DH used to have to actually hold me to calm me down (we started dating 2 months after my accident).

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is normal, or if it's something I should talk to my doctor about? I thought it would get easier as time went by, but it's pretty much staying the same.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Health

• Some of that you will never get over. Have you tried any kind of counseling? The accident sounds horrific and I'm sure you relive every single frame of it in your mind everyday.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• It couldn't hurt to talk to the doctor. He could have ways to ease your discomfort until you feel things have really healed.

It has probably gotten easier than you think. You ride in cars, you drive, and you can watch those scenes. It takes a long time to really get over something that major.

My dear FIL was a Holocaust survivor. He saw things that are so horrific I wonder how he could ever function normally, let alone go on to marry and raise a family. Over 50 years later he still had nightmares about what went one. So, personally, I think what you are going through is very normal.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• No, I haven't had any counseling for it...It was the second scariest time of my life (the first being when I was 35 weeks pregnant with my DS and we both almost died due to heart issues). It just seems like I can't get past it. I've talked it through with my parents, with DH, and with friends... But to be honest, when I do that, I end up reliving it in my dreams...I was watching a movie earlier that I didn't know had car crashes in it, which is what brought up this question. It was like my body reacted without me even thinking about it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I had to be in cars days after the accident (I had college). It's still not easy, but I do it. My DH usually does the driving because he knows I get anxiety being in the car.

I just don't know what a doctor could do for me...The physical pain still lingers, but I deal with it. I'm not too worried about it. But for some reason I just can't shake it... I would think that after 6 years, something like a car accident would be more-or-less forgotten...I can understand what your FIL went through and not getting over that! He is a strong man for carrying on!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Sounds like post traumatic stress disorder - I would talk to a doctor.

When my now 9 year old dd was 4 days old I ended up in the ER with post partum HELLP syndrome and still get panic attacks/nightmares because of it. I was taken by helicopter, had super high blood pressure, fluid in my lungs. etc. and the nurse couldn't even assure me that I wouldn't die.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I think its normal to feel the way you do. That was a very traumatic accident that happened to you. Its amazing that you walked away. All of those things that make you tense up and makes your heart skip beats are things that remind you. While I think its normal, I also think its something you should talk to someone about. I think there are things that you need to work through, and talking to someone might help with that. Thank God you made it through!
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 6:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I had a really bad accident in 2009 and both my boys were in the car; we were coming back from doing some grocery shopping and a teenager(there were 3 other teenagers in the van and they were texting and talking on their cell phones not paying attention) ran a stop sign and if I wouldn't have swerved like I did she would have t-boned me on the drivers side(which is where my then 2 year old was) it totaled my car and to this day I still tense up when we go near that intersection. I think maybe you may want to talk to your doctor and see what they suggest.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 25, 2011