Do you follow in your parents footsteps?

such as if they were bad housekeepers, did you do the same or do you do the opposite.

I can't think of much of anything where I'm the same as my mother. I'm not a good housekeeper in my opinion, but her place could be featured on hoarders! I've never been that bad nor do I intend to.

I know a woman who is nuts when it comes to keeping her place clean. I asked her if her mom was like that, she she said no, that there was always dishes in the sink, the place was never that tidy.
She'd never thought of the connection until then.

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I am the total opposite. My parents had a bad marriage, I have a good one. My mother was a disgusting lazy slob and a self absorbed, terrible mother. I try to do everything the exact opposite of her.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I am nothing like my mother.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I don't follow in their foot steps as much as I watched them and saw what they did. I always joke that my parents are the only couple i know that deserve a divorce because their marriage is so bad, gorwing up i remember watching them pack things, throw them in the car drive off or tell us to pack and drive us around. I still can't actually have a normal relationship because I fear this happening to me and never see a relationship as good enough.

As for cleaning... I don't remember my mom actually cleaning, as soon as we were old enough to plug things in and hold a broom my sisters and I did it.  I'm not a neat freak but if you call and tell me you are on your way over my house will be clean and ready for company.. show up unannounced and you'll find shoes and a few toys on the floor and a basket of laundry that needs folding and put away.

Anonymous

• I work hard like them but thats it. I do not beat and humiliate my children and drink until I cannot even remember who they are and beat them when I sober up. No I am the total opposite.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I am NOTHING like my Mother and so glad I'm not. My mother had ten children. The older ones raised the little ones we cleaned and cooked. My "mother" slept all day and yelled all the time and constantly fought with my Dad. I am so glad I am not like them.
    Anonymous

• I work hard like my mother! When it comes to views sometimes I agree sometimes I do not.It just depends,as for housekeeping I love a clean house.
    prdVirgobby

Answer by prdVirgobby at 1:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Good Lord NO! There's no way I could accept the way of life that my parents lead; Hand to Mouth, never planning for the future, never thinking beyond that hundred dollar bill in their pocket. Putting wants before needs then bitching to anyone who's trapped in the room with them long enough to hear about everything they don't or can't have or do. My parents and my two older sisters are "The Pity Me Bunch" - can't stand that, won't tolerate it when I'm around. My sisters start it and I'll hand them the classified section of the nearest newspaper - my parents start it and I walk out. There's a reason for planning, saving, investing and being smart with money - it's not so you can show off a portfolio; it's so you can live past what you might receive from SSI. (If it's still even available and paying when we retire). We sacrifice and plan now so that we can live later.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 1:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I'm the complete opposite of my parents....

Both were smokers, im not
    Both were married 3x, I've been married 12 years strong
    Both were uneducated, i have a bachelors (no help from them)
    Both were blue collar workers, i'm white collar
    My mom is a cleaning freak.... i'm not at all!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I am NOTHING like my mother! My home isn't clean, and neither was hers, but unlike her I bust my ass to try and get it that way instead of simply making my kids work their asses off and doing nothing. My mother was never married to MY father, but she was married when I was born and then divorced 3 times... I not only know who the father of my children is but we're happily married for well past her longest record! I make a point to know my children love them and always do what is best for them, she did not. And I'm not a complete control freak - she totally is.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Well, my mom is a bad housekeeper, I'm better than her but still not an great housekeeper. Although oddly enough, my parents were married close to 10 years before having me, we were married close to 10 years before having children. My parents are celebrating their 49th wedding anniversary this year, we'll be married 20. I think some things mirror my family. My dh's family is dysfunctional with a capital D! So, he does have some of their behaviors, but we're trying to overcome them. (Not a slam, but really bad stuff).
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2011