WTH ? Seriously I'm trying to help my son

So my son will be 5 august 28th of this year. He is kinda behind in learning bc he just isn't school stuff. He seems to have my problems with learning. I believe he is ADHD as well. My son LOVES fake tattoos, so in order to earn a tattoo he has to do a page in his preschool work book I bought him (with my help of course) even tho I'm trying to help him, I don't give him the answers unless he's really trying & still can't get it. I give him time to think about it. ya know ? I give him clues to the answer than I have him do the same thing, but on his own like without my clues. We've been doing this for the past week & he's been doing great! Welllllll...... My grandma is over here making dinner with my mom. My son & I are sitting at the kitchen table doing the workbook. I have him telling me things that are certain colors like red for insists. I'm trying to get him to tell me things that are red like an apple or fire truck. My grandma is giving him the f*cking answers!! She won't just give him clues, she gives him the answers! Then she's like "You can have red crayons." or "an apple is red, remember?" can't a crayon be any freakin' color ? I'm trying to get him to say things like cherries. ya know ?? errrr !! I just got back from doing it in his room just with me & him and omg! he did such a good job ALL ON HIS OWN!! My parents & my grandma enable him to not think for himself. It annoys the crap outta out of me!! I live with them & this is such a struggle for me to deal with & its only going to hurt my son in the long run. I know this bc they did it with me!! Sorry had to vent. Happy Easter, LOL

loudnproud87

Asked by loudnproud87 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• Just study in a room where you and your son are alone. Even outside at a picnic table or porch would work. You can go to the library. There are lots of kids who go to the library to study with moms or tutors.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I don't know, reminding them of things that are red might help them get a mental image stored for later so he remembers. I don't think they are meaning to hurt, maybe explain to them what you are doing and ask them if they can help out the same way.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Ha, if the families lined up correctly I'd think your Grandma is my MIL !! Anyway, store this in your head and limit the exposure to Grandma. DON'T let her be his primary caregiver! It's a bad pattern. If he only sees her now and then, it won't matter.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 1:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Sadly there are alot people who can't or don't seem to want kids ,these days, to think for themselves. Remember they are the grandparents and they always tend to spoil one way or another.
    darter

Answer by darter at 1:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I do try to limit the exposure to grandma. The only problem is right now I have no other option besides to live with my parents and her ass is over here ALL the time. Her & I DO NOT get along AT ALL. She's not one of those people you can just talk to. Everything is a fight with her & she will end up saying something hurtful just to be mean. So talkin to her about it isn't an option. We were doing it at the kitchen table before she got here, so I thought she'd keep her nose on her own face, but obviously I was wrong. I should've known better. LOL
    loudnproud87

Comment by loudnproud87 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I'm pretty stern with others if I'm trying teach my children something (I home school) so if we're reading and he doesn't know a word I make him sound it out. There are family members that try to give him the answer and I plainly state that he can do it on his own, and remind them that they are only hurting him by giving him the answers. I tolerate some levels of spoiling, but in this situation it's not ok with me. You need to speak over your grandmother/mother when she gives him the answer, let her know that you want him to learn on his own. If she continues, study in a different room.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2011