Going to cookout, can't bring puppy?!?

We are going to my mother in law's today for a cookout. The whole family are avid animal lovers, and we have taken our pup there numerous times. Mom in law lives on a huge lot of private land, in an enormous log two story house. She called today and asked if we would pick her up a Sunday paper on our way. Of course we will. Then she said, "If you don't mind, could you leave the puppy at the house? So and so had to bring their dog with them. I said ok, no problem. Afterall, her house, her rules. I get that. I was taken aback by it because she loves our dog (not just lip service, she gets him stuff all the time) and he is housetrained and very well behaved. I told DH and he was a bit mad. It's a beautiful day outside and DH wanted to let our furry baby run free and have a good time. I didn't think it was my place to say anything, but I think he's going to. He said, "It's a 40 minute drive each way,and we will be up there for a few hours. I don't want Kismet (the puppy) to be left alone that long, so we aren't staying long. I'm kind of puzzled by the whole thing, but I don't want it to get blown way out of proportion.

LoraGardiner

Asked by LoraGardiner at 1:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Take it as a compliment, she clearly didn't want any conflicts and approached you in stead of her because she feels you are the more approachable/ less likely to cause waves. I, on the other hand, would have asked if I could bring the puppy along with its crate, promising to keep the puppy confined in place in the home that is not underfoot. So you can at least potty the puppy, but it wouldn't have to be out. Would she allow that?
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I would just let it go and maybe you will find out a reason once you get there. Perhaps she knows they do not get the dogs shots or is not good around other pets. Or maybe just too many people for dogs. Or maybe just because I would let it go.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Maybe she has a guest that is not to fond of animals. I would have asked her why.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I'm sure she has reasons that she's not saying. Also, it was probably hard for her to even bring it up. I'd leave the matter alone. After all, It's her house.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Maybe she was afraid the stepdaughter's dog would attack Kismet
    kasaloso

Answer by kasaloso at 1:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Maybe the other person is bringing a dog that dosnt get along well with other dogs? Id let it go. The puppy wont suffer from being left alone for the day. Their home their rules.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I would try not to feel put out about that. She could have made the request for any number of reasons that you may have overlooked. Maybe she just feels a cookout isn't a place for numerous dogs running around, I could see people being uncomfortable with that. I wouldn't want to leave the puppy for that long either though and would ask if you could just bring the crate. If not I would cut the visit short and still try not to be offended. =)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• It's not that someone isn't fond of animals. We can't bring our dog because her stepdaughter is bringing her dog. Plenty of space, they wouldn't have to share anything.
    LoraGardiner

Comment by LoraGardiner (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I like the part about leaving early. I would be put off too. U should be allowed to bring your dog,especially if it is something u have always done. The crate sounds like it would work.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I wouldn't stay long either. Honestly, I would be happy to find an excuse not to spend a lot of time with my inlaws.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2011