Any SAHM's ever gotten a divorce? Or were a SAHM when got divcored?

My Cousin who works full time is currently going through a Divorce, short selling her house and basically losing it all. She had everything; big beautiful house, fancy car, huge savings, and now she can barely pay for groceries. Her Ex has basically screwed her out of everything. Even though she always worked full time and contributed to everything. This has really opened my eyes and kind of scares me. I always looked up to her. I'm a SAHM, so I think what would I do if God forbid this would happen? So my question is what happened to you after the divorce?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• i filed with our taxes, moved into a friends house, let him keep everything (short of the kids and the cats) and receive 800 child support a month.

we can make it.
    Anonymous

• Well I am somewhat "lucky" in the fact that I receive disability benefits. If my marriage ended suddenly my kids and I would crash at my parents for awhile.... I''d be using my cash for a good lawyer. I'd have plenty coming in a month for legal fees and I am sure I'd get food stamps, too. I'd stay w/ my folks until child support was in place, then get an apt. with my kiddos. I could not/would not want a house post divorce. I can barely change a light-bulb much less mow a lawn

If I did NOT receive monthly disability benefits to be honest I'd probably have a secret cash stash. No marriage is ever truly rock solid and if you're left virtually homeless/penniless you risk your ex getting full custody.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I am going to a divorce right now but do not kwow the outcome of anything yet. I have 3 kids and a housewife. I just want one vechile, the girls, what is theirs and mine, child support and whatever I can to survive with the kids. I plan to move to be closer to parents but if not I hope he has to cover the bills and he find a place to live. Aug. would have been married 11 years so I should get half of everything and I do not work. Everything is in his name but I was told that it did not matter. If email me and invite me I will let you know what happens when every thing is settled.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I told him I was leaving and I got a job and saved up to leave. I let him have the house. I filed bankruptcy on the bills and walked away with the kids. He refused to pay child support but it finally caught up with him and he has to pay it now even though they are grown!

Answer by admckenzie at 3:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Some will tell you, it wouldn't phase them at all... However, in reality, We ARE ALL a step away from the streets if you think about it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2011