At what age is it OK for the kids to be heading to the playground without adult supervision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Depends on the kid, where you live, etc.
    My kids started going last summer when they were 10. 8 1/2 and 7 1/2. We lived in Chicago and the playground was around the corner and down the street. They had to be together (at least 2 of them) and the older 2 were allowed to walk on their own but the 7yo had to walk with someone.
    We've since moved to a small town in WA. Our park is down the street and through a patch between 2 houses (a few blocks). They come and go from the park as they please (they are 10, 9 and 8 now). They even take their 5yo sister and have walked their baby brother (9mo) there. They run all over our neighborhood just like all the other kids around here.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• too many factors to give a set age.
    Where do you live.
    How many people in the area do you know.
    How responsible and trustworthy are your kids.

There is no set age for things like this.
    Anonymous

• It depends on so much more than age. Maturity level of the child. If child is going to be with friends. How the child is going to get there. How far away the playground is from where you live. How close playground is to any major roads.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• there is no set age how mature are they? how far away is the park? i mean mine was in my backyard.are there older siblings what time of day? and so on if your gonna answer just on age then 18 sounds good
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 3:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• depends on where you live. I live in a suburb of Phoenix and I didn't let me dd play outside unsupervised until she was 10. She can play in the field 3 houses down. Too much uncertainty in the world we live in.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 5:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Our closest playground is close to a mile away. Because of this, my kids will not be allowed to go by themselves until they are much older. Something close, maybe 10 or 11 years old. However, I like going to the park and being outside, so I would walk with them and let them do their own thing.  This world is so dangerous. 

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 5:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Well because.the playground is right outside my window, i do let mines go out but i watch them like hawks..i never let them out of my sight
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 6:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• You ever watch Nancy Grace where kids are taken out of their homes and killed every day? I don't even let my 14 year old go anywhere by herself and we live in basically a crime free town!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• IMO by the time they are " old enough" they are too old for the park.
    Trixi.VonLace

Answer by Trixi.VonLace at 10:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• my son wont be able to go anywhere by himself till he is in high school and even then ill text or call him every couple hours to know where he's at how he's doing, and he can go to the park "by himself" as long as a group of friends go with him (that'll only happen when he's in junior high other then that either me my boyfriend or one of my sons friends parents have to be with him)
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 10:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2011