What do to about suspected thieving friend?!

I just moved into a new apt. I didn't have keys for the 1st couple days. I was living elsewhere & my door was unlocked. I didn't have anything there but 2 pillows & a bottle of Lysol. The apt. manager knew it was unlocked & I ok'd that the keys could be left on my counter top. A male friend of mine also knew my apt was unlocked. He displayed unusual interest in my pillows & pretended to walk out with them, like he wanted to take them home. I told him that they were my son's pillows & I didn't appreciate him playing like that. It took a minute to get him to relinquish the pillows.

The next day I came to the apt w/ my mother and I noticed the pillows were gone. I told her that my pillows & Lysol were gone and she thought that I was just imagining it...perhaps I left them in my car. I finally convinced her that they were gone & she was in disbelief as well.

I didn't bother calling the apts or cops over such inexpensive, seemingly petty items, but I SOMEONE took them! If they took these things, what else would they take if they had the chance? If I had more things in the apt?

I just found out that my friend stole a co-worker's phone and sold it to another co-worker at our job. (He no longer works there, though.) The person who bought it turned it b/c someone told him it was stolen. This raises major red flags for me!

I wouldn't like to think that my friend would steal from me, but other things make me not trust him & I have been avoiding him lately. He wants to hang out, but I haven't wanted to. I definitely don't want him in my apt.

I didn't alert the apts b/c I don't think they'd take me seriously & maintenance would just deny it.

I had a maintenance man come to work on a few things. I had to leave for work & I asked him if I needed to stay around. He told me that if anything went missing to alert the cops & the manager b/c it "wasn't them." That seemed fishy.

I hate to be so distrustful of everyone, but it could have been my "friend" or maintenance. I don't want accuse my "friend" but at the same time, something's not sitting right with me. Should I confront him? I know it's just little things, but stealing & lying are are huge test of character and I don't want to be friends with someone who would steal from me!

What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• Well as for maintenance people. They do not co to fix thing unless I am their, period. Friends,  you think might have stole from you?  That friend would not be a friend anymore.

Answer by louise2 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I wouldn't confront a friend. You really don't know for sure who took your things. I would just be very cautious in the future. What about your keys? Were they still there? Doesn't make sense that maintenance would take lysol. I'm sorry your son lost his pillows.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• come to fix,,,I meant

Answer by louise2 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• The Apartment HAS to have BONDED maint people. Anything goes missing ask to file a claim with the Apt manager and if they refuse Call the police. If the Maint guys were the only ones IN the Apt then THEY are to blame. period!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• make the announcement things were stolen you don't know when.BUT you are locking down everything. AND AS for your friend I would do a polite suggestion as dont leave your purse by me, if she ask you to go in her purse, perfect opportunity to bring her her purse, and tell her you don't want to go in it, because she won't or you don;t want her in yours. or anything personal of hers she offers you to go in. Then spend more time on cm. we cant steal from you here.laughing

AMMA554

Answer by AMMA554 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Oh slowly fade away. if she is persistent. then let her or him have it. Me personally i would tell her/him merry F$%3 xmas.
    AMMA554

Answer by AMMA554 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2011