Dizziness in the middle of the night?

I woke up after a nightmare last night and felt really dizzy. I had no other symptoms, I'm not pregnant. It lasted for an hour (until I fell back to sleep). It would get better if I would keep my eyes open for a few minutes or close them for a few minutes, but it was pretty intense for the few minutes after I opened or closed them.

Was I just exhausted or was it something else?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Health

• Okay do you have ear infections I get that when I have vertigo and laying down or laying a certain way makes me dizzy either way you should have it checked out.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• It could be an inner ear infection, or vertigo. If it keeps happening you may need to go see your Dr.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• No ear infection that I know of, though I did have a strange sensation of pressure and "lifting" in the back of my head before I went to bed last night. I chalked it up to my recent start of the mini-pill and dehydration, though. Maybe that's it?
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I've been experiencing the same thing,someone told me you can have fluid in your ear that's not draining properly. My ears pop a lot and feel like cottons in them. I do sometimes feel like I'm on a boat and other days I wake up and get dizzy. If I ever get the insurance I'm gonna get get my tonsils,adnoids,and deviated septum fixed. This will relieve a ton of problems I have. I hope you feel better soon. Do you have allergies,inner ear problems,sinus problems? If you do it can cause a lot of dizziness.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 4:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• It could be that you had some disorientation from the dreams. Sometimes dreams can be so intense that they can set you off. It could also be dehydration, anemia or an ear infection or some of the many other syndromes that take you off balance and mess with you equilibrium. . I would keep an eye on yourself, and if it happens again, definitely call the doctor.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 6:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• my ears were infected for months, I'd gone to my obgyn for a yearly check up and she discovered both my ears were infected. I had no fever and no pain. Just dizzy spells here and there - just is worse at night laying down and getting up in the mornings. took antiboctic and it came back, the regular dr said is was allergy, and prescribed me a timeof the year and med's to take.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Fluid behind the ear drum can cause vertico. You'll notice it if you roll over, bend your head down. It's very uncomfortable, but not painful. Hope you feel better.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:40 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I experience these once in a while but mine is due to my diabetes; you may want to call your doctor and ask them even if you don't have any symptoms other then the dizziness; I had this a couple months ago with no other symptoms and passed out and ended up going to the ER which in turn they found some abnormalities and did a heart cath and found out that I have three arteries going to my heart that have plaque build-up
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2011