Has anyone else tried olive oil for ear wax buildup?

My DD had a really bad earache and the Dr. said they could not do any thing for it. So, me crying cause she is in pain and has cryed almost nonstop for 3 days, I asked my mom. She's a nurse and agreed with the Dr. Then my DH took her to his mom who dripped a little olive oil in her ear and plugged it with a clean cotton ball. About 10 minutes later, she took the ball off and it was covered in ear wax and my DD was playing happily.

Any one else ever tried this or other homeopathic fixes?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Use it all the time for ear aches...does the trick for sure!!
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yep,I was famous for getting wicked earaches when I was young my dad would soak garlic in olive oil and warm it then put in my ear it was so soothing! works like a charm! I think we need to use home remedies more often.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 4:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I use mineral oil but yep. That does it sometimes!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• wow never heard that. my dd gets them all the time. i will try that next time
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Wow thats awesome! I will have to use that for my son when he gets earaches.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 2:02 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My boys get earaches a lot. I will have to try that next time. My youngest son stayed up all night and got maybe two hours sleep after I climbed up in his loft bed and layed down with him. It was hard listening to him cry and not much you could do for him.
    preciouscat

Answer by preciouscat at 11:12 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Was it infected? If not, and it was alot of earwax, why couldn't the dr pull it out? Our pediatrician has a tool that she puts in their ears and pulls out a little piece of wax once in a while. Also, for ear pain, Motrin helps tremendously.
    Hartbrayka

Answer by Hartbrayka at 9:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• >We use all natural ear wax candles! It's amazing what comes out of your ear! eww You can buy them at Health Food Stores or online.

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It didn't work for me.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 9:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Suprise the doc didn't remove the wax in the office, my daughter's doctor did. Anyways I use Similiasan for Ear aches and sweet oil. The show "the doctors" also advises to use a drop of baby oil.
    Momma_Forever

Answer by Momma_Forever at 9:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2011