Question about strawberry plants...

It is very early spring here, I just planted my strawberries I got from the greenhouse. they look healthy, but are starting to have strawberries about the size of a dime, that turn red, and look like tiny sick seedy strawberries. is it cuz the plants arent yet mature, and just need time 2 grow... or are they defective? I have never grown them b4.. what should I do to help the strawberries get bigger so we can eat them?

sarahlu

Asked by sarahlu at 5:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• They need time to grow before they will get big ones on them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Yep, give them time. Also, they may need to be fertilized. What type of soil did you plant them in?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• We haven't raised them in a number of years, but I believe the instructions used to be to pick off the blooms the first year so that all the strength goes into the plants to give bigger berries the next year. You might try to Google it and see what you can find out.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Im not sure I attempted planting strawberries one year and all Ive ever got from them was tiny icky ones.
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• First year you pluck the blossoms to grow the plant- next year if they are grown with care SHOULD provide bigger berries.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I have never grown strawberries so no help here.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You should definitely pull the first blooms so the plants are using their energy to grow strong roots and leaves first. I have let the second or third generation of blossoms turn to strawberries for my first year plants, but you will definitely not get the kind of berries the first year that you get once the strawberry beds are better established. Strawberries are perennials so look towards the long term not just this season.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:16 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I am growing some too. Thanks for the great info everyone gave
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 2:11 AM on May. 27, 2011