Kids and Weight?

I have a sixteen year old son, and today I noticed he has put on some weight. He's never had a problem with his weight before, and he's still fairly slim, so I'm not too worried yet. He's obviously still growing, but it made me wonder: how involved do you think you should be in your child's weight, especially when they get older? When would you intervene? This is more hypothetical than anything else. I know there's a range of opinions on the subject, so I just wanted to hear yours.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• If the kids are under 18 and are obese it IS the parents fault and the parents responsibility to get the junk food and high fat and processed foods out of the house. Giving your kid's the foods they want or prefer all the time IS NOT LOVE. You have to set an example for the kid's to follow.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• My niece is overweight and I don't know that her parents do anything to intervene. I think that weight fluctuation is not a huge worry as long as healthy lifestyle practices are used by the whole family. I think a lot of boys (who aren't beanpoles) go through a chubby stage.
    Its.Me.T.

Answer by Its.Me.T. at 5:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• By the time kids are teens they pretty much have autonomy when it comes to food. You can prepare healthy food at home but they have access to other sources and can get what they want when they want it. All you can really do is try to impart healthy eating habits when they are young and encourage them to continue when they are older. It's also common to add weight in the teen years (especially for girls which seems to freak people out).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2011