How do i deal with my stepson who has adhd?

my 10 yr old stepson has adhd. he drives me crazy, his mom thinks its funny so she wont send his meds. he does things just to annoy his sister. i try to ignore things he does to annoy me, but he is not happy untill his sister is screaming. i think im going insane, and feel like all i do is disipline him. this my husbands stepson that he raised from the time he was 2months old. my husband is the only dad he has ever known.
is it ok to tell the mom that if he doesnt have meds he doesnt come over?

esmith1984

Asked by esmith1984 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Is he on your insurance anywhere, or have some? Check with them to see if they will cover a sleep study. Nip the disorder in the bud. They've done research and linked adhd to sleep troubles. Give him some Melatonin before bed, and see if it helps at all. Otherwise, take him to the doctor where you are and ask for a new rx for him so you have one at all times.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• If he is perscribed to have them and your hubby is legally his father, then he can demand the meds. If not, she could say that her son can't come over.

Either way, she is not providing perscribed medication and can be brought up on charges. It's withholding medication to a child.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I know how hard that is. I raised my cousin who had it and his little sister who was add as well. I agree with Jade. If he's prescribed them, by law, you have to have them. It's negligent if you don't. Not on your part, but on the bio-mom's.

A little trick that used to work for both of my cousins, when they're really hyper, give them a spoonful of Jiff Peanut Butter. It'll calm them down. Creamy or crunchy, doesn't matter, but it does help. Good luck!
    GothicChk52

Answer by GothicChk52 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• That sucks, does the medicine help? I just wouldn't let him play with his sister untill he can be nice. Remember he can't help it but she shouldn't have to pay for it either!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2011