Why does humanity need a social "whipping child"?

Why is there a need within the human society isolate vulnerable people and psychologically torture them?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 10:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Survival of the fittest, pecking order, food chain, whatever you want to call it. It's natural. BTW, I guess this question was too cryptic for me to figure out who the figurative 'whipping child' is. Care to enlighten me?

On a side note, if you don't like seeing the whipping, then stand up for the group that is being treated poorly. There is so much that is revealed when you see someone dealing with a crisis, or tragic event. If you are recognizing the whipping, then do what you can to stop it. Not necessarily by whipping back, but a better way might be to find some common ground between the two 'groups' so that they might see that they aren't so different.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Did you ever read the story as a kid about the kids throwing rocks at a bird. And the bird dies. And then all the kids cry.?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• ummm....i guess i don't understand this question....or the first response...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• A "whipping child" is a social phenomen that a selected group or a lone person gets isolated because of a vulnerability. It is sign of a level of social health. Even though it is a description of one member of a general public, it can be seen very clearly in class rooms of elementary children of that one child that gets tortured. The term is also used in political stances of an unpopular interest that society has to throw blame at.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 10:30 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Because deep down everybody knows that at any time THEY could be the 'whipping child' of the week and the only way to avoid that is with a brute show of strength. Sort of like the little guy who goes to prison and the first thing he does is find the biggest guy in the joint and then he walks up to him and hits him to show everybody how tough he is thereby making sure nobody bothers him. It's a self-defense mechanism. At our core, humans ARE animals and animals are mostly concerned with personal welfare...self-defense, passing one's own genes down and grouping with their own so they appear to fit in and won't get picked on by the others.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• you can whip me i am already down and out for the count anyways!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• aawwww...someone took a freshman psych class. It's very simple. You if you think the vulnerable should be handed everything on a silver platter you PROBABLY believe that people who think the "isolated vulnerable" should have to put more effort into getting ahead are "whipping" them. It is ok to have a different point of view without it being a complicated social issue.

Anonymous

• Not sure if you're referring to me, anon, but I haven't taken ANY psych classes...not a single one...it's just common sense and anybody with some knows how basic evolution works...the strong survive and in order for the strong to survive they must beat out the weak and fight to keep their spot in the order of things. College psych not necessary as high school freshman biology was sufficient enough to teach me that. (As for you, I wouldn't recommend a frosh psyche class so much as a freshman English/Grammar class...you're rambling was hard to understand. Just a tip!)
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• We had to watch a movie in school called sypher in the snow...about a kid picked on to the point he dropped dead in the snow one day getting off the school bus...has stuck with me all these years. I cannot tolerate this of any kind on any level...my kids can get away with some crap but if I EVER get a call saying they were being cruel to another...look out!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Sad that us humans must act so animalistic.

Anon- It only takes a person to look beyond themselves to see the suffering of others. Even if a person experiences, there is always opportunity to grow and learn. But that person still remains senstive in behalf of other people. This is what makes a person more and more human, and less animal. This doesn't take psych class to understand, but maturity.

I really wish that I can pick more than one best answer.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2008