I was told "then my faith is pointless"

My mother and I got in a discussion today when she asked me if I believed in Jesus and I told her "Sure I do. I believe he might have been a great person with wonderful views on life that he believed to be divinely inspired but I don't believe he was a demi-god or that he was physically resurrected from the dead."

Of course, she went off on a tangent and told me how "She refuses to believe her daughter sees it such as that and that her faith is pointless and everything is a lie".

I told her "Mom, don't view it that way. Stay open minded but just because one thing is true doesn't make everything else a total lie. Believe what you want to believe but that doesn't mean I have to." I also told her, "That doesn't make your faith pointless."

Do people really believe their faith would be pointless if Jesus didn't rise from the dead or was born of a virgin? Isn't his message what is important?

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Honey, some people no matter what religion they believe in are one sided. I think a lot of Christians have forgot the meaning of what it is to be Christian, it is one of the things that turned me from Christianity when I was 13. I don't feel that it takes away from His teachings if he isn't a demi God, However, i will say that if you follow your history back farther than Christianity you will see that it's the same story dating back for a very long time, names were just changed. If your interested look up the cross of the zodiac...that makes you think hmmm lol. You believe what maeks
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I think many people think their faith is pointless when not everyone follows the way THEY believe.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Faith is what makes us feel less alone in the universe( i heard that in some movie, but it has stuck with me). My faith does not hinge on every word of the bible being black and white. There are a lot of issues with semantics where the bible is involved. I think your mom got upset MAYBE because she may have felt that she didn't teach you well since those were her beliefs. Maybe she feels that she has failed you. I'm not saying that that is true in any way. My beliefs don't follow the "Christian norm" either. That doesn't make us bad people, it makes us free thinkers. Besides, how strong of a faith can a person have if it is shaken by a few statements.
    LoraGardiner

Answer by LoraGardiner at 7:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Yes, I think many feel their faith is pointless without him to believe in because he is the main point of it all.

I also think your mom was using "mommy guilt" as a tactic and as a way to justify her flustered feelings.

My mom said she felt like a failure when I left Christianity. So she based that moment of her motherhood on me leaving the church...didnt matter that I was still the same wonderful person that she'd raised just that I walked away from all she'd taught me spiritually.

She's gotten over it for the most part but I know there is a piece of her that still feels that way but she doesnt let it out like she did at first.

I honestly feel like its a mothers thing...your kid does something completely "off the wall" and it must be their fault. kwim? So they find ways to justify the feelings that they cant quite place their fingers on expressing.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Oh do I feel your frustration. I have family members that STILL give me and other family members who are not Christian all sorts of crap like that. I found using quotes from other Christians tends to shut them up. Karen Armstrong is a good example. She mentions that followers of all religions need to move past the "My religion is right and all the others are wrong" it is robbing them of their compassion. Christ and the Buddha were more about LIVING compassion and empathy. Christ also followed the Golden Rule which was written by Confucius 500 years before him. Your Mother and MANY MANY others need to realize that the drive for being right is prideful and keeps out any sort of unity with their fellow human being. For one to really live compassion and empathy means to reach out and accept others not like themselves. It is easy to acccept those who follow the same faith.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I think that is his message that he died and rose from the dead for us. Right?
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• christianity can be strange at times, i have the same problem with just about everyone i know... i just play along and never say anything anymore.. i was seen as 'better than' someone if i said anytthing about being or staying 'open mined'.. i have lived in a 'super' christian home before for a summer and i would even get 'prayed' for if i said anything out of the sort... i was 'kinda' raised to be a christian(in a slack way), and over the years i just found more in common with other beliefs the more i learned and/or read... i dont think most 'christians' would ever want to think about a 'false' faith, he is their 'faith' , it'll never be any other way. sometimes it simply becomes a 'by the book' case.. not what the 'meaning' of the story in the book is.. most of the time it stays the same for ever, you will find that not saying a thing about it will help ... i am very quiet now..
    jayme009

Answer by jayme009 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Can I get a somewhat ironic amen? I happen to believe that Jesus was the son of God, but your line of reasoning makes absolute sense to me. I think that even if my faith is "wrong" and Jesus was just another man, that doesn't diminish the lessons he tried to teach the world. Regardless of whether the entire story of Christ is literal, word for word, truth doesn't matter much to me. I believe what Jesus instructed us to do, is more or less the right thing to do, and doing the right thing is never pointless. I'm sorry your mother felt as though you were attacking her. I apologize if I'm crossing a line, but it sounds to me she's a little insecure in her faith, or, more likely, insecure in your faith (or potential lack there of. I've no idea where you fall on the religious-to-atheist spectrum). I certainly hope that difference of opinion doesn't come between you. It's always sad to see people pulled apart by religion

lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• It's something I very often hear other Christians say. The belief in Jesus and the Atonement, that he is the key to what saves us, etc, that's something that is the key, the whole point, of Christianity for many - at least many I know. If the Atonement isn't true, it's all a lie, in their opinion. There seems to be no point, no purpose. Many can't see that there is another way of looking at it, because to even admit that there may be that possibility undermines the whole foundation of their faith, seeing as it rests solely on the saving power of Jesus. If one doesn't really have to believe he was the savior, then what is the point - at least the point in believing that he is and is the only way? It's one of those "if this is true nothing is true" things, since if it could possibly be true that one needn't "accept Jesus", nothing they believe (that you must) can be true. If you get what I mean....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Thanks ladies. I love my mom dearly and while i follow some things from the Christian belief I also do so with others as well. I respect EVERYONE's belief and I too usually just keep quiet. Its not something that gets brought up a lot thank goodness. I think she knows I have always been one to go my own way. My mom is the type of person that "needs" this type of faith in her life because she feels so out of control or out of the norm. For her it is neccessary to believe the whole thing. For me it is not. For me juts knowing he was a good man with an important message was enough :)
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2011