If i have a glass of wine with dinner on occasion does it get into the breastmilk & how long does it stay in there?

31mommy

Asked by 31mommy at 10:06 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I havent drank since my daughter was born(shes 2) so Im not sure, but I dont think it would affect the baby. It think it is 2% of the alcohol in your body gets to your baby. The doctors tell you even when your pregnant you can drink 1 alcoholic beverage a day (which to me is wrong and insane) so Im sure its not that big of a deal.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• No its ok to drink a glass of wine a day.. My doctor actually recommended it while I am breastfeeding. I had a problem getting milk because I was so stressed out so he told me to drink a glass of wine a day while i'm breastfeeding and my milk will come in quicker. It works and it relaxes me after a day of stress. There is no side affects on baby and one glass isnt enough to go through your breastmilk
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i only drank once when bf-ing.... then i pumped the first milk in the A,M. and dumped it but my son still projectile vomited the breastmilk after that for the next feeding... so i dunno i didnt do it again, other people have no problems... i did have a martini! so that oculd have been it! i think wine is better for them.... ask your doc or go to the "ask an ob and rn" group and ask them.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:33 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• One glass? Out of your system in approx 2-3 hrs. Still safe to nurse though, before the 2-3 hrs are up because the alcohol in the milk is VERY minimal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Yes, it does get into your breastmilk! How much depends on how soon after drinking you feed and how fast you metabolize the alcohol, there is no magic number. The longer you can wait to nurse after drinking, the better...you can also pump and dump or try those milk tests that check for alcohol (I believe they were just mentioned in Baby Buzz).
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• pump on your next feeding and discard it. if i drank, i would pump all mine out for 24 hours.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Pump and dump is not necessary. Check out kellymom.com for more info.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2008