Is a pot luck bday party tacky??

friends and family??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Holidays

• For a kid's party I think so, unless the only people you are inviting are really close. But I wouldn't ask a child's friend from school to bring food. I think it's okay for an adult party, especially if it is being hosted by someone else.
    Anonymous

• I agree, it depends on the type of party
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• No, I love pot lucks! It's fun when everyone pitches in for the celebration :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 7:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Yes, generally it's tacky whether its for a kid or an adult. If you don't want to provide food or snacks just provide cake and liquid and call it good.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I don't think so it could be fun.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 7:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Yes, I believe it is. The only time I think thats ok is if its close family like you talk to all the time & you guys are getting together for a cook out like that OR its a bunch of adults getting together to party. My friends have B.Y.O.B parties all the time. We sometimes bring snacks. lol Keep in mind that not every one provides lunch/dinner or even snacks at a bday. Some people provide cake & drinks. That's it. So don't feel like you have to for your child's bday :) I'd much rather a friend or family member of mine spend that money on their own child's gifts or something than spend it on food for us to eat at a two hour event! :)
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Agree with emmyandlisa.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• As long as the invitations are worded as a group of friends getting together to celebrate and would they like to join in, that everyone is bringing something. Family is different, if it is family, then it may be expected that everyone at least offers to bring something.

Answer by Bmat at 7:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I don't think it is if it is for a family or friends gathering. Especially if that is the norm or it has been done in the past with success. If I was hosting a party for my children I would not make it a potluck. It just really depends on the situation.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• yes.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2011