Did the baby food cause this?

So i finally got my baby to having good bowel movements. No constipation. And her doctor said she could start the yellow and orange baby foods. She was on the just fine. Well yesterday my mother in law decided to give her ham baby food because she gave it to her kids 28 years ago. Well last night she couldn't go to the bathroom when she needed to. I had to give her a suppository and it was still really hard. They gave the food to her @lunch. Do you think that is what caused the constipation? I told them it was, and that she shouldn't have meats until okayed by her pedi probably @ 7-8 months. And they said no, it wasn't that the food wouldn't have gone through her that fast. I still think it was. b/c she was doing fine and going by herself before the meat. That or they havn't been giving her juice everyday like she is suppose to get. But they say they have. What do you think. Do u think it was the meat? She is 5 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. Meat will cause a baby to be constipated and thats why doctors tell you not to give it to them until they are a little older. Meat is supposed to be the last category of baby foods you try.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• yes, rice cereal, bananas and meat made my son constipated... lay off the meat for now...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:29 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I'm sorry they gave your poor baby ham! my son is chronically constipated to so I know how you feel. The meat is most certainly what did it. Kindly explain to your MIL that she needs to back off and only give your daughter what is PEDIATRICIAN approved. I hope you can get her tummy feeling again, I know how they fuss when they're constipated.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 10:37 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I'd say definitely yes that is what caused the constipation in your little one, it's the only thing that has been changed in her diet and she's all the sudden constipated, so just explain that you don't think your litte one's body is ready for that quite yet so maybe we'll just try it again in a few months, then if they continue, explain that it was the only changed in her daily diet and you'd appreciate it if they respected your wishes when it came to your daughter.
    LilManCaiMommy

Answer by LilManCaiMommy at 11:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2008