How would you handle this situation?

Last summer there was one girl who got caught stealing toys from my yard, sneaking around in both mine and my neighbors yard and I'm pretty sure her and her older brother were stealing things from my freezer in the cellar so once I caught her stealing from my yard I told her flat out she isn't allowed back in this yard nor is she allowed to play with my children. My kids had been getting along well with the other neighborhood kids; however yesterday my 5 year old came to the door in tears because one of the girls next door made her sit in puddles and stole her hoodie and threw it into a bunch of puddles now today this same girl, along with her sister and brother, were riding bikes with my two girls and the neighbor girl came to my door and said my 6 year old broke her brother's new bike by shoving him while he was riding and he crashed into one of the walls at the dead end of the street where the kids all ride bikes. It was starting to get dark so I called for the kids to come in anyway and then found out this girl (who has an issue with everyone at one time or another) pushed two of my 6 year old's new bikes down a hill, grabbed her arms and pulled them behind her back, pushed her and crashed into both of my kids while they were riding their bikes. The way my 6 year old explains she was simply defending herself because the girl kept hitting her. Though my 6 year old has a tendency to exaggerate and lie so I asked my 5 year old because I've never once caught her in a lie and she's the one who told my the neighbor girl was trying to break my other daughter's arms and shoving her off the bike and that she started to cry because she doesn't like seeing her sister get hurt.

So for right now I've simply told my kids the neighbors aren't allowed in this yard anymore. They still have two other neighborhood kids and two cousins that live on this street so its not like they won't have anyone to play with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Why are you not involving the parents in this? Yes, its important to protect your kids, but you need to get the parents involved in this as well.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 8:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• They live with their grandmother who doesn't give a shit, she's a drunk and does nothing but scream at them. Their actual parents are both drug addicts, which is why the state removed the kids from their care. Their uncle also lives in the house but he doesn't really care either, he's told me many times how screwed up all three of those kids are (they're 11, 9, and 6) - it's the 9 year old that was fighting with my daughter. I've had to break up little fights between them before and I've called their uncle, he just says anytime something goes down to send them home and he'll deal with them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• YOU NEED TO CALL CPS!!!!! Those kids are acting out, they are probably abused, neglected, and hungry. Please do something to help them. Invite them in, be a mentor, anything but shut them out, they need you~!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• wow that sounds like something that happened to me when i was 8 O.O except the kids broke into MY bedroom while i was at school and stole my ps2 and all my movies and a pair of really expensive sapphire earrings, that was before the oldest brother chased me with a baseball bat for not letting his younger brother play with me and my friend, my dad literally chased them back up the street to their house and got their mom involved, then they broke into my house for a second time and stole my second ps2 and all those new games i bought, we called the cops and not even a week after that they "moved"

i would call cps or the cops and force the grandma to do something, i also wouldnt let those kids anywhere near my house except for walking past it on the side walk
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 10:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I agree w/ anonymous - I would call CPS; and keep your children close. Are the other neighbors having problems as well? How sad...sounds like those children are needing not only discipline, but attention as well.
    blessdmommy

Answer by blessdmommy at 8:53 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Calling CPS wouldn't work. The kids are fed, have clean clothes, go to school every day and aren't beaten. Not a single one would speak ill of their grandmother or uncle either because they've been in foster homes and they know that's exactly where they'd end up going to again. The older girl I don't have a problem with, she has always been polite and well behaved when playing in my yard but the other one has had issues with every kid in the neighborhood at one point or another - especially with my 9 year old cousin who lives down the street with his dad because the girl made fun of him saying he was on his 3rd mommy (his bio mom abandoned him when he was 2, my aunt and his dad broke up last year and he and his dad now live with his father's current girlfriend). Even the boy I don't usually have a problem with - the only time I've had to make him leave the yard is when he fights with his sister.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2011