Back to school with mono?

My daughter (15) came down with mono a little less than two weeks ago. She was out of school all last week and she was miserable. She started feeling a lot better today and even went to church with us and everything. She says she wants to try going back to school tomorrow, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

She hasn't had a fever for days now, but she still has a sore throat and periodically complains of headaches and chills (but she hasn't said anything about them today). The swelling in her lymph nodes finally went down and she's getting her appetite back, but she still looks really pale and is obviously still very weak and very fatigued. She says she thinks she's well enough for school though.

I think I'm going to hold off sending her tomorrow, but my real question is, how am I supposed to know when she's ready? I don't want her to miss anymore school than she needs to, but I don't want her to rush the recovery either. Any thoughts? I'm taking all the advice I can get!

lytate95

Asked by lytate95 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Kids' Health

• She's not going to be 100% for a bit. As long as the fever is gone, the lymph nodes aren't as swollen, her appetite is better and she feels like trying, I'd let her go. Mono takes a LONG time to fully get over. So do not expect her energy and strength to pop back overnight.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I would take her to the doctor for a recheck . . . it is possible you may need a note to reenter her to school, anyway. Sometimes, with mono, the spleen enlarges, and the child needs a not to sit PE out. If she wants to go back to school, make an appt with her ped. You also want to make sure she is no longer contagious.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• OOps, a NOTE . . not "not"
    ImaginationMama

• Check with your doc. It took me 3 weeks rest before I was up to snuff after mono. I'd be ready to get the hell out of bed and then 5 steps later I'd be right back in it. You don't want to stress her if she still has symptoms like being pale an weak.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 9:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I was out for 8 weeks , on home study, when I was in 9th grade and had mono. The district I was in required a note from the Dr. saying I was no longer infectious and free to return to school.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I missed a month of school when I had mono. If she looks tired then keep her home. She needs sleep or she'll have a relapse.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would take her to the doctor for a recheck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:06 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I haven't dealt with it but I'd ask her dr
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:46 AM on May. 22, 2011

• i would have her go for a drs check up and get a note for school in case one is needed
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 8:37 PM on May. 28, 2011