What should I do with my son who doesn't seem to learn?

My son in almost finished with Kindergarten, just a few more weeks! He really loves school and all the interaction with other children. My issue is his learning ability. How early can you test for a learning disability? He can't recognize numbers. He doesn't even know what number 10 looks like. I get so worried about him. I feel like he is trying my patience at home, and he really knows this stuff. I try to practice with him, but we both end up getting so frustrated and quit because he seems like he doesn't know it. I have talked to his teacher, adn she seems to think I don't need to be concerned, but I sometimes worry that maybe he is just getting lost in the crowd of 18 other kids of his class. Am I being paranoid and a worry wort? I know every child develops differently, but I feel like if there is an issue I want to try and help him now before he gets any older and it gets worse. Any Advice?

macksmom05

Asked by macksmom05 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I went through the saaammmme thing with my son when he was in kindergarten, i mean this all sounds exactly the same. Some people said he was not mature enough (my in laws) to go to 1st grade. I listened to teachers recommendations and he is now a straight a second grade student. he still hates homework and we still go back to the homework battles we had in kindergarten sometimes. He can't STAND to be told he doesn't know what he is doing lol then i get upset because he won't stop interupting and telling me i don't know what i am talking about lol GL, I think he will be fine. Keep meeting with the teachers and you will know if you need to get him some extra help
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• What does the teacher say about him not knowing the stuff? I know that with two of my sons, they acted clueless at home, but were fine at school. I have no idea why, but that's the way there were. Does the teacher say he is able to do it at school?

If she says he can not identify this stuff at school, insist he be tested. Let her know that you are aware that if you ask, the school MUST comply with the request. As it is toward the end of the school year, it might take a bit, but they have to do it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• My SS is in kindergarten and is the same, only me and him both know he knows and he acts like he doesn't. He just wants someone to do the work for him. I had to pass on the school helping to my DH. I was loosing patients with him. I know its easier said than done, but be patient, or have your SO help him out with school work. GL
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 9:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• How old is he? Assuming he's only 4 or 5, I think fostering a love of learning is far more important than drilling the specifics like numeral recognition. Focus instead on things he wants to know about. Listen to his questions and answer them in a loving, fun way, thoroughly and in a way he can understand. Do experiments to show him how things work. Learn fun stuff. Forget the curriculum.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• What do his teachers think? I am studying special education right now, so I spend a lot of time observing in regular and special education classrooms and talking to teachers about identifying kids. These days they sometimes do not want to try to identify a child with a learning disability when he is that young... especially boys... because they all develop at different stages, and may not be able to focus and pay attention in class as much as they will be able to in a year or so.
    If I were you, I would talk to your son's teacher about your concerns. If you really are worried, you can ask for the school to test him for learning disabilities. This would be a free service. If they decide he has a learning disability, this wouldn't necessarily mean he'd go into a special class or anything. It would most likely mean that next year he'd just get extra help in class and they could figure out nw ways to try to teach him. Good luck!
    NickiKidsOnGo

Answer by NickiKidsOnGo at 9:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I dont have have any advice but I am going through that with my son right how. He is 4 and does not know any of the "educational" things that most 4 yrs old do. And it isnt from lack of me trying and him wanting to learn. We are trying to put him in 4k hoping this helps so that he is prepared for K. I hope you find your answers and let us know because you may be able to help a lot of us that are coming up right behind you.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Sometimes the parent cyild connection makes things worse. I know with my dd since she was little she would not show me what she knew even her colors... ittook the teachers at school to get it out of her... she'll show off for them but not me. Somethings that would work with her (and ds) was not to "work" but to play.... find the letter ____, lets read this book toghether and then every now and again I'd forget a word. Play cards esp. Go FISH... great for numbers and letters. THere are also alphabet cards ... you can play Go Fish with those too.
    Make it a game and play. You may be surprised at what he does know. (I was)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2011