I'm trying to start a child care business for the summer. If you saw this website, what questions/concerns would you have?

I currently work as an aide at a school, but of course the school will be out for the summer, and so I will be OUT of a job! It is also hard to find a summer job, since I have to take two separate weeks off for intensive summer school classes. I came up with this idea for giving SAHMs and SAHDs a break, by getting their kids outside of the house for a while! I created a calendar of venues and activities for each day of the summer. Parents will be able to RSVP for events, and then drop their children off at the venue, picking them up a few hours later. I'm only charging $6.00 per hour plus the cost of the activity (many of which are free), and only $4.00 per hour for additional children in the same family. (I figure this is inexpensive, since babysitters where i live are often paid $10 per hour or more!) I want to be able to work out all of the kinks of my plan before summer, so I am hoping people might look over my website and give me some constructive criticism. If this was a service offered in your area, would you use it? What would be your questions and concerns? Thank you so much for your help! Here is the website: http://www.wix.com/angelnicki/kids-on-the-go

NickiKidsOnGo

Asked by NickiKidsOnGo at 9:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• on the last page you dont have a top bar that has the sections in case a parent wants to go back and see sometihng. you know what im talking about?
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 9:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• but otherwise i think its good. and very good idea you have plus the prices are awesome. i would totally use it if you were in my area
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 9:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I think it looks great! I liked the pic on the homepage! lol.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 10:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• you have a good working website. I have never used a babysitter besides my mother and a best friend...occasionally. So, I might be a little critical because I am very cautious who I will leave my children with. I know the area you service too.

First, I would change the choice of photo on your bio on the first page. Nothing wrong with you, just the angle of that shot is bad-little creepy. The photo you have on the other website is much better. Your prices are very fair and good.

I would want to know about insurance, assuming you are taking the children out and about. I would also want an assistant with you, even if the group is less than seven.

I think the FAQ you have on your babysitting website and particularly the background check should be posted on this website as well.

Some references or a few testimonials from past students/ teacher or parents would be good additions.

cont...

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:33 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I notice you have a sample calendar. I would want to see that sample of a week's events.

I don't like the idea of dropping my child at an event location/field trip, I prefer a home environment, at least until I am comfortable with the caregiver and know they can adequately supervise when the child is out and about with a group. And SAHM..who you target (I think) get their kids out to a lot of "field trips" in my opinion.

But you are correct, the SAHM really can use a few hours sometimes.

2 things I would personally value more than the outings..

1. a person/house where I could drop my child for a few hours when I am in a pinch and know they are safe and having quality fun time-doing a craft, or a sport in the back yard, etc...

2. Someone who might be able to drive my child to an activity she is enrolled in or pick up after the activity and take her back to their home for a few hours.

I like your background
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:42 AM on Apr. 25, 2011