What "green" home improvements have you done?

We put in energy efficient lights, a programmable thermostat and a robotic lawn mower. What have you done?

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 9:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We recycle and use "green" home cleaners, maily vinegar and baking soda. We also use energy Efficient lights. We're really not "green" I guess, but we do have a garden and we dont use our thermostat unless its REALLY cold.
    staceybelly9

Answer by staceybelly9 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I know what you mean - I consider us to be middle of the road green. I think there is a positive affect even when everyone does just a little bit.
    RobotLady

Comment by RobotLady (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• we recycle, cloth diaper! i wash everything but the diapers in cold! we have a programmable thermostat, efficient lights, we redo our weather stripping and cocking every year! i make all natural cleaners and laundry soap! we dont use the dry cycle on the dish washer, i would have a garden but we live in a townhouse! i try to b as green as we can within reason!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I recycle, all bulbs have been swapped out including all outdoor ones...
    we put in a new thermostat ourselves (we are renters, landlord didn't want to)
    All laundry is cold water wash...and during times when possible I hang laundry out...
    Electric usage has been cut back by using the 23 windows for light instead of turning a lamp on
    I use homemade cleaners, i.e... vinegar and water (newspaper instead of paper towel) baking soda
    for scrubbing, I do use bleach at times...
    During the summer I use the grill instead of our electric stove...I do a small garden, but my mother has a
    1000sq ft garden that I will be helping in this yr and I will get most of my herbs and other items from there...
    We buy in bulk when we can, we have one vehicle (saves on gas usage)...
    I live pretty green daily, can not think of anything else at the moment...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Ah yes... the ultimate... take your own bags to the store... I have a lot of those and use them
    ALL the time no matter the store... plastic bags when I do use them are ONLY for trash ...
    We went from 2 lg trash cans wkly (garbage day) to 1 lg plastic bag of trash, sometimes 1/2 full
    we are a family of 3 with 4 fur babies...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• energy efficient bulbs, I recycle, bring my own grocery bags to the store, wash clothes in cold water. I do need to get a hold of something so I can line dry my clothes though. We use the sunlight to light the house for as long as possible, longer now that it's light out longer, Bundle up in sweaters and blankies in the winter, sadly I havent found anything but the a/c to beat the heat. I try. I know I am not anywhere close to be the most green person out there, but every bit helps.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:33 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Right now, just the lightbulbs, but we are moving soon...
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:06 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• tell me more about this lawn mower.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:51 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• We grow most of our own food, have no furnace ~ we do have a woodburner, we live in a super insulated 10 x 16 building with one ceiling fixture. We raise our own meat animals, drive one vehicle (which isn't considered green, but we drive less than 100 miles per month). I make all of our detergent/cleaning/bath products from 4 natural ingredients. I cook from scratch, can and dehydrate, and process our meat. Our home is built from 'scrap' wood from a local sawmill. We don't buy any plastic, and we use empty feed bags for what little actual garbage we produce. Most goes on the compost pile or to the animals. We have a well on solar, hot water is solar heated, and are gradually switching to all solar for electric.

To be honest, our goal isn't being 'green'. Our goal is self sufficient and sustainable. We owe $0 on our home, and our total expenses for living are under $300 monthly.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Farmlady09 - now **that** is green! We could all learn a thing or two from you... :)
    RobotLady

Comment by RobotLady (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2011