Do you cave

to your picky eater or let him/her go hungry? I have two picky eaters - my husband and my son. My husband has a super-taster pallet - he has more taste buds than most people so everything tastes ten times stronger. I am willing to let him off the hook. My son, however, is just being anal, I am sure. No way did he inherit the gene because he eats strong foods like vinegar. Do you have a child like this? How do you deal with it?

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 9:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• If my kids don't like something, I don't make them eat it. There are things I don't like either and I would hate to have someone make me eat them. That's just me though. If my husband was really picky, I might have him make his own stuff, depending on how bad he was.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• My children one day decided they didn't like tuna, or chicken, or beef. I came up with a solution that works pretty good in my home. You eat what I make or you don't eat. I know it seems harsh but I am not a short order cook and I will not make 6 different meals for my family. I do let the kids help pick out dinner but for the most part its whatever me and DH decide to cook.
    They will not starve and eventually they will learn to eat what you make.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 9:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• In my house I make one meal, if they don't want to eat it they can make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. This has been the rule since they were little and that don't make sandwiches very often. In our house the other rule it you have to try everything on you plate. You don't have to eat it all you just have to try it. When they were little i did make them try everything, now they are older and so for example, my middle child doesn't like chichken so he makes himself something else when we have chicken. I don't force him to eat it because he is a very good eater.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• My son is so stubborn if it is not something he likes (Which is only like a handful of food) he will go without. Sometimes when I pick him up from preschool the teacher will tell me he hasn't eaten all day. And when I say all day I mean 8am-4:30pm. My older son eats everything ou name he eats it. I feel like I am doing something wrong.
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Well, the good news is preschoolers only eat a few tablespoons of food a day so he is not starving. You aren't doing anything wrong. Kids have to see the food at least 17 times before they'll eat it and I think a stubborn kid has to see it 30 times. Here's a tip that might work... kids like fun shapes. I've been making myself sweet potato fries and eating them in front of the kids (ages 9 and 11). The first time, they went "Blah, yuk, etc." I said "Great! More for me!" They watched me dip them in ketchup and seemed a little interested. The next time, they each tried one. The time after that I had to share. Last night I baked a sweet potato for myself. I said, "Does anybody want any?" My stubborn son said, "If you cut it in the shape of french fries, I'll eat it with ketchup." My daughter said, "Me, too!" Success!! Now I am going to cut more things into fun shapes and see what happens...
    RobotLady

Comment by RobotLady (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• If my son truly didn't like something (like for real, not fake) then I wouldn't give it to him most of the time. If he were just being picky I wouldn't force him to eat it, but he wouldn't get a snack or anything else (except what he didn't want to eat) until the next meal.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• They eat what I cook! They can have small amounts but must eat!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:54 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• They eat what I make or go without. I don't tolerate picky eaters. I try to make a variety of things (side dishes) with most bigger meals and I know the other recipes I make have everything the kids like but my 10yo dd complains about everything. Every time I make burgers she says she doesn't like them (she wants me to buy the frozen patties to cook, I make them from scratch with fresh hamburger). Yet every time I make her eat them and she loves them. I got into it with my dad when we lived with him. He said they should be allowed to make a sandwich if they didn't "like" what I made. I tried that. Every day for like 2 weeks I cooked a nice dinner and every day at least 2 of the kids (every day for the oldest) chose PB&J and I cooked for almost nothing. Never again. If I makes something I know 1 does not like they have the option of leftovers.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:45 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My five year olds the same way,she always has a promblem about what i cook for dinner,she knows if you dont like what i made then dont eat,i dont care,normally she will give in and eat after she seen us all pigging out.if there hungry they will eat.
    twolilgirls712

Answer by twolilgirls712 at 12:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• They never go hungry! If they don't like dinner they eat pb&j. I try not to make a big deal out of it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2011