Symptomless fevers.....

My 30 lb, 2 yr old daughter has had SIX fevers since January 23 that have no other symptoms and last for 3 -5 days. She has grabbed at her tummy like it hurts for the last 3 of these fevers, is so tired she doesn't get up to play, always wants held, or to be laying down, fevers stay between 102-104 Oral and rectal temps. The Dr has never done more than check her ears, nose, and throat and always tells me its viral. Last two times, her throat has been red so I've pushed for Strep tests, both came back negative. One month ago, she had blood in her urine, but they never said or did anything about it. When she vomited pure blood 3 weeks ago, Dr said "well, these things can happen, if it happens again, we'll run some tests. I'm googling all kinds of things tonight and so far Mono matches about the best...but I've got a stool sample in the fridge, which she only poops about once a week, but good timing on her part! lol I just need some advice if anyone's been through anything like this at all? Even just the symptomless fevers part. Thanks in advance. :) (we are scheduling in the morning to be seen and the Dr said if she stayed feverish all weekend we'll do urine sample on monday. )

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I am going through the uncaring physician part with my 6mo DD. Tell the pediatrician to refer you to any specialists that your online research indicates you might need. The GI that mom2aspclboy indicated is probably a great idea. If the pediatrician is refusing to run tests or order referrals, tell them that you want it in writing that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your daughter. They do not want to do this, because it would make them liable if something worse is really wrong with her. Keep hounding them, and meanwhile look for a new pediatrician as mom2aspclboy also mentioned. My DDs are on medicaid, so it is difficult to switch peds, but worth the trouble if they're not giving your children the best care. You'll want to get copies of your DDs medical records to look over them yourself. They do not keep complete records and often insert erroneous information. I really hope you get answers for your DD.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 3:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would take her to a new doc for a second opinion. I would also, if you can get your current doctor to do it, get a referral to a pediatric GI. Stomach aches, constipation, vomiting blood, blood in her urine, red throat, fevers w/o other obvious illness etc. could all be related to a GI problem, some of which can be very serious of not treated appropriately or in a timely manner.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Sounds like a urinary tract infection to me.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• We've done urine cultures twice now, and taking in another urine sample tomorrow. Both previous came back with nothing growing, but with blood in it- they never did anything then- this time, we're going to just keep digging. I spoke with our nurse today, and she's on board to help me after I suggested a few things I'd found online. So we'll see. Thanks all :) And the GI thing is something I will definitely discuss with her!
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2011