How do you get your hubby to pick up after himself?

My husband is constantly leaving things throughout the house. Plus, the house is already so crowded with his stuff. I am so tired of it and wish I could just get rid of it all. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Relationships

• How much have you really talked to him about it? If it's something that is bothering you this much, you need to have a sit-down serious discussion with him about it. Hubby knows that I choose to be the housewife and do all the chores, but he does have certain things he is supposed to do. For instance, when he cuts his hair (he buzzes his own) he is to clean up the spare bathroom. If he doesn't do it, it doesn't get done...I refuse to do it. He's good about doing it, but the few times he hasn't...he eventually does when he gets tired of walking through hair to use the bathroom (obviously you can see this is a bathroom we don't use often and no one but us sees). If there are certain chores you want your husband to do, even simple things like throwing his yogurt cups away instead of leaving them on the counter, then you have to sit down and really point them out to him one by one.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 4:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I'm probably the wrong one to answer. I dealt with that for years and finally divorced him and let his next wife deal with it! Of course I divorced him for more than that but it was a package deal!

Answer by admckenzie at 3:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Mine is like that too. I'd say every other week I let him know it bothers me and that I can't be the only one cleaning up. He usually gets the hint. You can always threaten to stop doing things for him that you normally might do (his laundry, the cooking, or grocery shopping) until he starts picking up after himself.
    Anonymous

• I really hope someone here has the answer to this. It would be such a break through for MARRIED WOMEN EVERYWHERE!!!! :)
    MommmyT

Answer by MommmyT at 3:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• beats me! mine does the same... it slike i have 2 kids and pick up after him every mornign and im ocd about my home
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 6:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I GUESS I AM LUCKY! I JUST SAT AND TALKED TO THE HUBBY AND ASKED HIM IF HE COULD HELP OUT IN PICKING UP AFTER HIMSELF A LITTLE, AND HE DID. ~~~? TALK WITH HIM&TRY NOT TO SOUND TOO NAGGY-THEY HATE THAT! GOOD LUCK! ~KAY
    KAYOCHOA

Answer by KAYOCHOA at 7:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I fight with my husband over the same issue. His comeback always is everybody else does so why should I pick up my stuff. I started piling everything up in his seat and he eventually gets the hint. Men can be such pigs lol!!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• If he has alot of junk he probably won't even notice if you got rid of some of his junk..Later when he ask where is it?? you go along and start looking for it and tell him you looked all over..You just can't find it..
    pinkcardinal

Answer by pinkcardinal at 8:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My mom went thru the same thing... Dad left clothes on the floor and they stayed there until one day he asked where his clean pants were... all my mom said was that he wasnt giving her any laundry and she figured he was becoming a nudist! lol He picked up after himself from then on :)
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I'm a SAHM and my hubby complains that he does all the work and that I do nothing...To open his eyes to all of the hard work we moms do he has every Friday as his day to clean and I sleep in and then go out for me time. He then fixes things, takes care of the baby, plays with the baby, and works on his to do list. He doesn't complain to me any more and loves hanging out with just the two of them. He now randomly does the dishes on top of Fridays and he doesn't complain any more. I also had to make a separate to do list for each of us so that we could both see what the other was accomplishing throughout the week. Good luck!
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 3:47 AM on Jul. 11, 2008