Should she have offered to help with gas?

Our downstairs neighbor (we live in an apartment complex) asked if the next time my hubby went to a town about an hour and 15 minutes away if she could ride along with him because she wants to do some shopping (at Kohls, Ross, etc). She said she would take the bus on the way home. I asked DH why he didn't ask her to help with gas and he said it was because he would already be going that way anyway. The way I look at it is bus rides are cheap, gas is expensive and it's rude not to offer to help with gas, and she should either offer or take the bus both ways.....

purplerobin

Asked by purplerobin at 9:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• well I mean since your husband was already going there I can understand why she should have to.

But it would have been nice if she did. i would have atleast given a few dollars -- I mean she couldnt be that hurtin' for money if she is shopping at kohls..
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I can see both points. I understand wanting gas money because you both were doing her a favor. In the same token, if I was already going there, then I probably wouldn't ask either.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• you could look at it that way, but if he's going anyway, why not help a neighbor out? not a big deal, unless she made it a regular request..and even then, he's still going that way, so...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Personally, I do things like this for my neighbors and what your hubby says does make sense.
    Think of it as paying it forward. Maybe someone will do something for you without expectations sometime.
    If it really bothers you, just say no next time.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I mean she couldnt be that hurtin' for money if she is shopping at kohls..
    ___________
    Wow, I don't know what Kohls you shop at, but if you know what you are doing, you can get things for almost free. A friend of mine got a pair of $80 sneakers for $5 when she used all the deals she had.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• It would've been nice for her to offer, but you're being a little stingy.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Well...he helps a LOT of people and doesn't ask for help with gas cuz he wants to be nice...and she has asked for rides from him without offering to help with gas. I think it's good to help folks out, but gas prices are going up and up and UP UP UUUUUUUPPPPPPP I think she should have kept more in mind than just pocketing an extra $20 for the store! I'm unemployed, desperately searching for work, and we're hurting too!
    purplerobin

Comment by purplerobin (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• well with this lady not having internet, lay1407 I HIGHLY doubt that she's going for a specific sale....I get the feeling it's a "go there and see what I see" kind of thing and it's not like clearance racks have a lot of choices so you cant count on finding something you want/need.
    purplerobin

Comment by purplerobin (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• kohls here is expensive ...

but I meant it more as, she isnt going to just boy food or needs... but she has money to buy wants, so she could give gas money if she wanted to....

I also mean to say shouldNT , not should on my original post lol
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 10:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Well it's sounds like your DH is a great guy and that you are lucky to have him. You should be proud to be married to someone who goes out of their way to help people. It is truly an honorable trait to have.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2011