Question about school

My son turned 4 on August 14th of last year and will be 5 this August 14th. I was homeschooling him for preschool because that is what I had planned on doing in the first place. I started when he was four but now wanted to put him in public school for kinder since my husband and I both found jobs and my mom works so I won't be able to homeschool him anymore. Some one told me that I still have to put him prek for public school and that he has to be 5 before august first which he won't because his bday is on the 14th. I am just so stressed thinking about it, its just another worry.

SalinaNavyWife

Asked by SalinaNavyWife at 9:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in

• If he meets the age requirement for kindergarten and "tests in" correctly (which I'm sure he would if you were working with him through a preschool curriculum) then why does she think he would have to go to pre-k?

Also, I am a teacher, and I home school. There is no rule that school has to be done during traditional school hours, and we do the schoolwork with our daughters in the afternoons. I typically send a few things with my oldest to work on while I am working, and then we go over it when I am home. Just throwing another option out there...I will say it is a lot of work to work full time AND then come home and spend nights doing school with the kids, but it is the only decision I could "live with" for now and where we are.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I know how you feel. My son turned 5 in June last year, got to attend summer school, then started K last fall. My daughter turns 5 August 15, and they said the deadline here is July 31. My son's K teacher suggested it wouldn't hurt to have her tester for K and if she does well enough, which I know she will thanks to homeschool since she was 2, that there may be some strings to pull. Good Luck! We don't even have the option of preschool, it's glorified day care for 3 hrs a day and 58 bucks a week! :(
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• @ Mom-2-3-Girlz- By any chance do you know what kind of tests they give them. He knows his Abc's 1-20's and can trace letters and numbers. He just can't write them by himself we've tried and worked on it before we moved back to TX it was just something that was complicated and still needs work with.
    SalinaNavyWife

Comment by SalinaNavyWife (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Every state is different as to when they need to turn 5 to start Kindergarten. If he meets the age requirement then he should be enrolled in K, not pre-k.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• It has been a LONG time since I have dealt with any of the testing in, but they will probably look at letter and number recognition, following a 2 step instruction, (i.e. stack the yellow block first, then put the blue block on top), simple sequencing with picture cards (which happens first), and then something that shows he knows things like above/below, in/out, behind/in front.

I would call and ask the district what they test for during kindergarten registration or talk to other parents in your district with kids that have already done it, and then maybe work with him over the summer on things that you think he might not fully understand yet.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• In Corpus he has to be 5 by Sept 1st in order to attend kindergarten.
    mommyof11050307

Answer by mommyof11050307 at 12:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Find out the age cut-off date for your school district. If he meets that then he'll be in kindergarten.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:18 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• San Antonio is 1 Sept.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I am in Sinton tx 30 min from Corpus. I asked my mother in law she said the same thing has to be 5 by Sept.
    SalinaNavyWife

Comment by SalinaNavyWife (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2011