Weight loss.

21 year old working momma and student wanting to shed 40-50 or more pounds!
alright ladies getting warmer out i want to shed the unwanted winter pounds. Any tips, tricks or words of encouragement would be awesome!

MetalMomma10

Asked by MetalMomma10 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• we should make a thread and work together
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• they have weight loss groups on cm
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• 1. Start Journaling your nutrition.
    2. Purchase a heart rate monitor to journal exercise caloric expenditure.
    3. Exercise!
    4. Burn a minimum of 2500 calories weekly to reach goal.
    5. Eat protein/carbs together. (Not sure exactly what they should consist of...go to www.lindyfit.com and look up Eat Fit)

Few things to help you get started. Remember eating is 80% of your change to reach your goal. You can do it, but it will take work and determination. Sometimes we don't increase weight just because we like food. Think about what may have added the weight on.

Hope this helps! (Not just offering opinion, certified personal trainer and bach of sc in Kinesiology)
    f1tmama

Answer by f1tmama at 10:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I diet every other day. I don't get any hunger pangs or cravings and with a modicum of exercise I lose a sensible amount of weight a week, figure 1-2 lbs of real weight lose. It also means I don't have to do anything weird about what I eat. I generally start when things get tight and stop when they get loose.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 11:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I'm having a lot of success with eating clean and running. Click that link for my journal about clean eating basics, and here for another about healthy weight loss.

You CANNOT expect to lose all that weight by summer, I hope you realize!  =)  However, you can get off to a good start.  I've been going slow with my weight loss on purpose- slow weight loss is more likely to STAY off.  It's taken me a year, but I've lost 60 lbs so far, with more to go.  I allow myself treats ONLY on special occasions.  I don't let myself starve- that's a fast track to failure.  Same goes for limiting your food options- I can eat almost anything I want, just keep it clean.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My suggestion is to go to sparkpeople.com---they have tons of excellent advise and tools to help you in your weight loss journey. I also agree that keeping a food diary can be helpful. Sometimes we aren't really aware of how much we actually eat. Measure out your portions, don't just eyeball it, and make a goal to do at least some physical activity. You can do it!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:37 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Go on bike rides and walks around the park on a hot summer day. and if you didnt know yet, i research on alot of wedsites that a stick of celery has 5 calories and it burns 30 calories. there are other foods too that burn calories. i eat alot of celery to stay at the same weight and it works for me. look up foods that burn calories and there is a whole list of them.
    Keriii24

Answer by Keriii24 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Journal - it's amazing what we put in our mouths without realizing it - or at least without remembering it when we're trying to think back on why we are or are not successful. For example, it's easy to say "all I had to day was x for breakfast and y for lunch." But we don't Remember or mention the jelly beans snuck from the kid's Easter baskets or the coffee with cream we had on our way out the door earlier. Those may not be BIG cheats, but they add up when we don't account for them.

Remember that 'excercise' doesn't have to be pretty. Increase your activity by parking at he back of lots, taking stairs vs elevators/escalators, dancing in the living room with kids, etc.

Watch your portions. Lots of "Good" things can be fattening if you eat too much of them and lots of "bad" things can be ok once in a while if you limit how much you're eating in a sitting.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011