Best way to get a cat to stop scratching furniture?

What is the best way to keep your cat from scratching furniture? We did not get him declawed because we decided to use claw covers, but they fall off every six weeks and they also have a sharp edge that still gets caught on the fabric. I want to get him declawed but my husband doesn't. How do you stop your cat from scratching?

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 10:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Get a spray bottle and anytime you catch him scratching at the furniture squirt him. It don't hurt the cat and eventually they will learn if they claw the furniture they get wet. It worked for my mom.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 10:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• cat scratch tower and cardboard scratch boxes.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• DO NOT GET HIM DECLAWED! Not only is it completely inhumane, but it seriously depresses them. My parents (regretfully) got our cat declawed (front paws) and she changed completely. Her mood changed and we could tell it had completely taken away her feeling of independence. It's not right, there are soo many other humane ways.

Pets are no different then children. You have to teach them right from wrong and what consequences go with making the wrong choice. You can use cold water in a spray bottle. Spray the cat when she starts to scratch. Then direct her to a pet friendly scratching post. They have towers, poles, and even ones that hang on door knobs.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Our cats were always declawed as kittens and it was never a problem for the animal or for the furniture. Spray bottles work great ...when you are home to spray them.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• So you think it is too late to get the cat declawed? He is 7 years old now... Next time I am getting a cat from a shelter that is already declawed. Then it won't be me doing it...
    RobotLady

Comment by RobotLady (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I would agree with you. 7 Years is too old in my opinion, because the recovery is often harder once the cat is over a year old. Kittens are a different story.

If you have the procedure done when they are kittens, they do just fine and it definitely saves your home. I hear you because I know that when a cat has that urge to use their claws, not much can stop them! Scratching posts and towers really are ineffective with certain cats, no matter how hard you try to redirect and reinforce.

So, there isn't too much you can do besides just trying the aversive methods like spray bottles, or confining them in a different part of the house, or putting him out in the barn : )
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• In addition the the above, if it is wood, use some orange oil based cleaner. This removes the "scratch here" scent they leave and most cats dislike the smell of orange. This can also work to help keep them out of flower beds.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 11:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Do you think I could rub the fabric of my sofa with orange rinds? Would that work?
    RobotLady

Comment by RobotLady (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Declawing a 7 yr old cat would be completely inhumane. If you could see the procedure you'd NEVER do it. They dont remove just the claw, the entire 1st joint is amputated. Inspite of what anyone tells you, it IS very painful for them. I have 4 cats, none of whom scratch our furniture. I started training them to use a scratching post from the day I got them. There is also a spray product out that deters cats from scratching furniture. PetCo & PetSmart both carry these kind of products. You spray an old towel, & tape it over the area you do not want your cat to go near. You may need to treat more than 1 area & for more than once, but kitty will learn eventually. The water bottle, along with this spray water, should work. How long has it been since her nails were trimmed? A kitty who needs their nails trimmed will often scratch at furniture. Regular nail trimming will help stop them from scratching other surfaces.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 6:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Oops, didnt mean to say "along with this spray water". Meant to say: "along with the deterrant spray". If you cant trim your kitties nails yourself, a vet tech can do it for you. You'd only pay for a vet tech appt, which is much cheaper.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 6:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2011