Car Seat To Booster Seat???

My son will be 4 years old in 5 months and is 38 in tall and between 36 and 37 lbs is it safe to put him in a high back booster seat?

XandersMomma07

Asked by XandersMomma07 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• here it's at 40lbs when they can be in a high back booster...check your state laws
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• ummm I would do the booster seat now, but that is just me :)
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• In the carseat I'm getting, he would still be in the 5 point harness until 49in and 70lbs. LOL

And then the high backed booster until 63in and 120lbs or age 12.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Keep him in the 5 pt harness until he out grows it. A booster seat is not nearly as safe, you want to keep him in the 5 pt harness as long as you can! I do not think it is safe for a 3 yr old to be in a booster seat!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• kids need to be booster trained first so they know how to sit properly otherwise a booster could be really dangerous. you can get more info in the car seat safety group! nak sorry
    TwoSugars

Answer by TwoSugars at 10:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• well will he even stay in a booster right now and if hes still fitting leave him
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• We have been letting him sit in a booster for short ride close to home and he seems to prefer it and he does sit properly in it and in my state we don't have a booster law they just have to be in some sort of child restraint until 4 ft 9 in
    XandersMomma07

Comment by XandersMomma07 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• This is a personal decision. Kids are safer in 5 point harnesses. I plan to keep my son (who just turned 4, is 43 lbs and 43 1/2") in his current carseat until he outgrows it (my seat goes up to 50 lbs and he can grow another 3 inches or so). I do have a high backed booster for him (that we tested out this weekend because we'll need to use it next week on a trip to the airport) but I feel the current seat fits him better. As long as what you're doing conforms to the law (like you, our state doesn't specifiy type of restraint just that you need one) and you're comfortable, go with the booster.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think if the child is big enough it is probably safer to move him to the next size up then leave him in a seat that may not support his weight. if you have doubts or concerns you can always ask the child's pediatrician. I am sure they would be happy to give their opinion. While some mothers on here think it is safer to put their bigger children in carseats that are too small and not made to support or protect their weight in an accident, I do not agree. I understand why they may believe that the 5point harness is safer, but in reality I don't think it is if it doesn't fit the child. Most 5 point carseats are safe for children up to 40lbs and thats it, some are a little more, check your seat. Anything over can cause hairline cracks in the plastic that could break during impact. This in my opinion is more dangerous. Just ask an expert. your child's safety is too important not to. =)
    KeLiStA

Answer by KeLiStA at 11:33 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• 4 years old, 40 inches, and 40 lbs. to go in a high back booster. The child also needs to be responsible enough to ALWAYS sit properly in their booster seat. (My son will be four in a few months, and he would never stop messing with the belt, so there is no way he is going into a booster.) If there is no reason to move him to a booster (no younger sibling needing his seat) I'd keep him in a harnessed car seat a little longer.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:51 AM on Apr. 25, 2011