My daughter will be two Feb. 16th? At what age did your child start talking?

She understands what I'm saying. She listens to me. She just says Yeah and No. She points for everything she wants, too. She only says about ten words, if that. How many words were your children saying at this age? Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All kids are different..... my 6 year old daughter was talking just like an adult by two and my son who is three is isnt talking all that much and my one and a half year old is saying mom dad yes and no so it varys per child!!! if she is pointing and you are getting what she wants when you point then she knows she doesnt have to say it cause mom gets it when she points so I would start asking her to tell you want she wants instead of letting her point!! good luck, shes fine she will talk when she is ready!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i wouldnt worry my son was about the same at that age then two months later his language just exploded he has learned one word a day sence then i think were up to about 60-70 words they all develop at their own speed
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 11:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My DD would mumble and could only say a few words....she didnt really start talking until she was 4...she is 12 now and we havent been able to get her to shut up since...LOL

I wouldnt worry too much but I would ask her pedi.All kids are different and learn on their own time.as long as she is doing everything else and she can talk she should be fine.:)
    tomsbrandi

Answer by tomsbrandi at 11:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son is two and he talks alot... maybe 4 word sentences. He started talking more when he turned two though, so maybe give it a few more months. Also, instead of her pointing and just getting her whatever she wants... try to tell her to use her words...etc
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• my son is 14 months and he talks a lot. he started saying 3 word sentences last month. my friend as a daughter that is 16 months and she doesnt say anything. all children are different and they all progress in different ways, no reason to worry!
    sarajanae27

Answer by sarajanae27 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My daughter is speaking full sentences at 2 1/2. I would guess by 18 months she was talking up a storm, if I remember right. She knows tons of words not sure exactly how many....but A LOT! All kids are different though. Ask your Dr. and they will tell you if they think she is behind with milestones. Also, when she points tell her to use her words. Tell her a few times you want your cup?...then phase that out and said don't point use your words. What do you want? Maybe that will help, we still do that when our kid is stubborn and doesn't want to tell us.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 12:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Well EVERY child is different. my son has a speech problem so he cant even say a sentence yet, he is 2 1/2. if you think your child is behind, ASK YOUR DOCTOR! Everyone said he will talk when he is ready and blah blah but he has Apexia and we would have never found out if i had not been so persistant about him speaking.
    aiden1337

Answer by aiden1337 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My 2 yr old DD has delayed speech. She's been working with Early Interventions/Speech Therapist since 20 months. She has definately made progress in the past 6 months. My oldest DD was talking in phrases at 1 yr. My middle DD was babbling in her own language/made up words at 1yr. My youngest wasn't even making sounds other than grunting so that is why we had her tested.

If you are concerned, talk to your doctor about it and see what their view is on having your little one tested. It's a free service here and they come to the home to do all the testing and therapy is in your home also. If it was something that I'd need to go to an office for once a week, we wouldn't be able to do it.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 9:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My 2 year old has been using sentences for a while now. He speaks better than some of the 3 year olds in our playgroup. He started really talking about 18 months,became a little mimic overnight it seemed. But some kids are late bloomers. If it worries you talk to her doctor about it.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 2:47 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My 2 1/2 year old just said gibberish till about his 2nd bday then one day he spouted of tons of words i had no idea he even could say. They just pick it up and the 2nd try it comes out perfect
    MattysWoWMoM

Answer by MattysWoWMoM at 4:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2008