Are there any jobs for this feild?

so i finally decided that if i can get an education i want to major in religion (and possibly minor in photography). but the only jobs we could think of would be to teach or to preach. i want to study all religions, not just christianity.
any other ideas where a religion major could get me?

ilovemymonsterr

Asked by ilovemymonsterr at 10:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• philanthropy is a good job, you need to know your world religions. I also love learning religions, i like talking and listening to people, if you major inpshycology and minor in religion you can be a spiritual counselor. I just requested access to one last month. Many people feel lost along the way and their first step is to find out what they beleive, people like me and you who are not bias can help someone alot, it can change their whole life!!!
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I know an author who majored in religion and English. You might be able to get a government job, something dealing with diplomacy across cultures. There used to be lots of jobs where they just wanted you to show that you could complete a degree program, not so much right now.  I would think you should focus on finding a school that offers what you want because that could be very hard.  You aren't going to find much of anything at state universities and the church affilicated universities are going to be only about their own religion.  So if you can find one that offers a broad view, call them and ask where their alumni are employed.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:10 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You could study World Religions. I had a class on it in high-school and loved it.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• i took the first semester of that my senior year. it was probably the only class i payed attention in. i was so bummed that i had to graduate early and missed the last half.
    ilovemymonsterr

Comment by ilovemymonsterr (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• to anon: thank you so much for clearing that up for me. it's just been so long since i've been in school. but you have to admit one letter out of place is better than many of the grammar errors i know you've seen on this site. i surely hope you'll take care of those too.

good lord
    ilovemymonsterr

Comment by ilovemymonsterr (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• You could study History and base it in Religious studies.
    You could also study world history.
    You could also study Anthropology and base it in Religious studies.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• If you are looking to make a living there is nothing much below the PhD/DDiv level and even that is iffy for a woman in such a male dominated field. It will help a lot if you write. In addition to what is mentioned above, if you like the military you could be a chaplain.

If you are in the US you need to remember that public schools don't offer religious degrees, world or otherwise.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 11:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• What about nonprofit administration, like this program:  http://www.spertus.edu/degreeprograms/nonprofit/index.php

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• feild= field.....i before e except after c
    Anonymous