Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get people to stop driving fast down the road when you have two small kids?

the cops keep telling us that by the time they get there they will be gone. They are not doing anything about it either. I have two kids on 3 years old and the other is 14 months old.

Answer Question

Asked by honeybear9012 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

Level 3 (17 Credits)
Answers (32)
  • Not sure who to contact but you may be able to ask for speed bumps. Not sure if they'll put them on the road or not tho

    Answer by jbond83 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • thank you we have asked them to slow down and they wont

    Comment by honeybear9012 (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • You need to talk to your city council. And, have your kids play in the back yard away from the road.

    Answer by specialwingz at 10:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • Some places set up cameras to where if the vehicle is going over a certain speed, it takes a picture of the plate and the owner is sent a ticket. We had that where I live in Ohio in a place where the speed limit is 35 and if you go 40 (which is what I go...accepted in OH to go 5 over) until a lawyer's wife got a ticket. Lawyer fought it saying it was entrapment. I find that ridiculous, but nothing I can do about it. Anyways, maybe see about getting something like that. Also, I know some places have actually loaned citizens radar guns...not sure if any tickets could/would be issued that way, but I do remember a news story (I think local) a few years ago about that.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • I throw something out in front of their car ....

    Answer by kaylan010 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • We had one car that did that even after stopping her and asking her nicely to slow down.. Well that didn't work so one day hubby and I were in the yard and I had a saw in my hands and I heard her coming down the road fast as hell so I stepped in the road so she had to stop and I was not nice this time with a hand saw swinging in the air as I spoke.. Needless to say she slowed down after that.. Guess I scared her.. Oh well, that was not my intention but I was working in the yard LOL...

    Ask if you can put speed bumps in front of your house if you have HOA or if its a public street as the city..

    Answer by midnightmoma at 10:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • We are having the same issues and out local police chefs hands are tied... (he is a very close friend of ours too)
    The kid has been stopped several times and ticketed, but by the time an officer gets to the location the kid is gone...
    We (a group of us) are working on other ways to get this to stop b4 someone is hurt or worse...

    Answer by gmasboy at 10:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • If they are specific people you know, your best bet is to get to know them so they care about your kids safety. Anything else is going to be iffy. It might work, it might escalate.

    Some things you might consider, park your car on the curb. This will at least make them swerve away from your yard.

    If you can't use traffic laws, see if it is covered by public nuisance laws. But don't go there first.

    Let the police know you aren't expecting them to ticket the people, just ask them to talk with them about child safety and driving safely. They might be willing to do that even if they can't stake out the area.

    Make sure your kids know about vehicle safety. You can't assume these are the only unsafe people in the area. If they are young, make sure they are supervised or have them play in the back..

    Answer by MyMyOhMy at 11:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • At my moms house, she lives next to the corner. There is a stop sign that almost NOBODY stops at. I mean, they speed 60 threw it. My step dad made complaints to the Cheif of police who finally had a police officer sit a few houses from the stop sign & catch these people. They caught a few & never came back so the problem still exists.

    I need help too since I have an 18 month old & my mom has a 3 year old, as well as tons of neighborhood kids! I told my mom, I'll either tape the corner all day & send it in or scare the hell out of these people before someone really gets hurt.

    Keep making complaints & get in touch with the cheif of police to see what can be done.

    Answer by Marix3 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • I agree with PP's. It really sucks and I hope you get th

    Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.