My 20 month old is in some sort of monster phase?!

He slaps me across my face, bites me, kicks me when I try to change his diaper and when Im done changing him, he stands up and hits me and screams NOOOO in my face. Whenever I say "no, no" he runs from where ever he is and says "NO NO!" and hits me. He also uses his finger nails and with both hands goes for my eyes and mouth during his temper trantoms. I just don't know what to do, I feel so lost and so angry and so hurt. I don't want to hit him. I've tried to grab his hands and say "NO HIT" Than guide his hands to my face and rub my face and say "nice touches for mama" and I do the same thing for him "nice t touches for Colton" I've tried the corner, I've tired the play pen, redirecting him. Please any advice for me is welcomed. Does/did your son/daughter do this?!

JnCV

Asked by JnCV at 10:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Welcome to the terrible twos. There is no easy answer. Just keep on it like you are and it will fade eventually, around age 24.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 1:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Wow... my 20 month old is going through this same phase. The other night he busted my lip with the TV remote and BIT the side of my face. It honestly hurts my feelings and he doesn't do this to anyone but me. He loves telling me "No" too. It's like his favorite word, though, he has stopped using it as much recently. But almost everything I say to him he says "NOOO" to. I don't know how to discipline these actions because I feel he's too young to fully comprehend what he is doing and that it's bad. When he's having one of his fits he is like a little monster but when he's not he is so sweet. I just don't know. I think he starting his terrible two's early. I'm sorry I'm not able to offer you any advice. Good luck, though!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 1:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My dd never got that rough but she started throwing tantrums around that age. I would calmly tell her that she could either calm down and continue playing or she could throw her tantrum upstairs in her room. When she continued I would pick her up and take her into her room and put her down. I would then tell her that when she was ready to behave herself-to listen and obey-then she could come out. The first few times I stood near her room and if she came running out still screaming I would guide her back in and say, "When you're ready to make good choices and calm down you may come out." Usually right after that she would calm down and tell me, "Mommy? I'm calm. I'm ready to come out." Then I would say, "Good choice! Come out and play!" When she came out I gave her a hug and said, "I love you!" and then we continued with our day. By the end of the week she stopped. :-)
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 2:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I'm on my second batch, last child. I don't recommend it. The urge to have more children will pass with a trip to Jamaica or St. Lucia.
    It is nice to hear that the time out is still recommended. I have never struck my children and won't, but a time out until the fit passes is good for all involved. Sometimes after her crazed fit, a nap follows- for both of us.
    SammyBoy85

Answer by SammyBoy85 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2014