Historical records of Jesus death and ressurection?

I heard somewhere (I think I saw it on a post on FB) that there are historical records of the death and resurrection of Jesus. Is this true and does anyone know where I could find that?

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• There are references about Jesus and the early followers of Jesus. It was a crime to be a Christian during this time and people were practicing in secret, but there has been a lot of graffiti found from early christians on walls and rocks.

Two historians Tacitus and Josephus do write about Jesus his cricifiction and his followers.

Pliny the Younger was a Roman governor whose writings mention Jesus and how to deal with his followers

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• There are no records from the time, which is not like the Romans, and the gospels have a number of things wrong for the time.
    You might want to read through:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_myth_theory
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 12:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Saint Issa

If you do not like this website you can study others.  It is a good start.

2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:02 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Nothing really accurate.. most of the records are written by people who heard from a friend that heard from an uncle who heard from a person who may have been there.. or, they are a few hundred years after the fact...
    Now, there may be something that has come up recently that I have yet to find out about (having no interest in researching after college will do that)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 10:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I hadn't heard that, either. From what I know, there are no contemporary accounts of his life or his death, and those stories that were written about them were written about a century later. I'd be interested to learn more about any actual, and reliable, records, too.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• There are none, except in the bible.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• They wrote about Christus not Jesus. I am not sure if they are the same or not. I will have to read further. Thanks.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 7:42 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I'm not aware of any historical records that aren't questioned as interpolations or just generally about early Christians. I know I've read an historical critique of Josephus, & most of it doesn't match his style of writing when you compare it line by line to his other records. It's believed that some portions were added by Christians later. And like you said, Tacitus just mentions Christus, which just means Messiah. I know of another piece of archaeology that some believe suggest someone named Simon was thought to be a Messiah and had followers shortly before the time of Jesus too. They were generally expecting a Messiah at that time. Those links above probably have some good information & sources. I also compared the book The Case for Christ to another book The Case Against The Case for Christ by Earl Doherty. There's another book showing the other side written by another scholar, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• The only record I need is the bible, it says he died so that I may be saved. I need no proof, if it comes up GREAT! More power to God, but if not great too, we are to believe even though we do not see, that's why it's called faith.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 9:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Thanks everyone for your input. I was just curious to see what evidence was out there if any :)
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2011