For moms who take thier babies, almost 1 yr olds, to church with them?

How do you manage to keep them content without having to go to the nursery or take them there?

We went today for the first time since my son, 10.5 months old) was born. We use to go every weekend faitfuly until he was born. We knew hed be a hand ful when younger and thats why we held off. We would like to start going atlest 2 times a month if not every sunday. But today when we went nothing we did kept him content. We had a bottle and toys with us, the only thing we forgot to bring was a little snack for him. The problem is nothing lasted and we belong to a little tiny church, that dosent have a nursery or even another room that i could take him into. My only other option would be to go outside with him or sit in the car, I would not want my parents and the rest of my family have to leave because he wouldnt calm down. The problem is it is still fairly cold here, hasnt gone above 50 and most days its nasty weather out. Today it even snowed some.

Any suggestions on what I could try would be wonderful. What did you do that worked?

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My children, 2 and 3, stay and play in the nursery. We have a wonderful nursery, and they love the ladies there and the other children they get to play with. Other parents whom I have seen take their young ones in with them have used coloring books and crayons to entertain them. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• We don't have a nursery, but we do have a foyer that I've had to use many many times. It's a tough age and it will be tough for a while. But my oldest is 2 now, and sits through the entire hour of church QUIETLY, w/ no toys or food, every week now! Patience is key. It will get better!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• We took our kids from the time they were still teeny, as in if you set them down, they stayed there. When they got older, we let them take a small book or two. We also read books to them at home and did other things which required that they sit quietly for a short time. By the time they were two, we had very few issue with them sitting thru the service quietly. Every once in awhile we'd have to take them to the restroom (in the absence of a family room) for a few minutes but that was rare. Try practicing sitting quietly for short periods at home and gradually lengthen the time.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Try getting a new toy to give him and only give it to him on Sundays during church so it is new and exciting. Bring LOTS of snacks to keep him occupied and maybe get him up earlier on Sundays so he will sleep through service.

If all else fails offer to start fundraising for an addition on the church to have a nursery room. Sell plants, do cash washes when it warms up, sell tickets to a dinner and show put on by the church youth (music, skits, jokes}, do a silent auction, etc.

And if none of the above work....maybe it is time to find a church that better meets the needs of growing family...I know that is a hard decision to make though....

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Our church has no nursery. I was very lucky in that if I held my children (as babies), they were quiet or fell asleep. Once they were toddlers, a favorite stuffed animal or a book was the way to go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't take my child to a church that didn't have a nursery - that was very important to me when I was looking. That being said, there are parents who bring their babies into our church with them. Usually they feed them and then the babies go to sleep.

Answer by missanc at 9:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I agree with miasmommy21407, maybe start a fund raiser for an addition to the church (to add a nursery or area for kids).
    CJessB1007

Answer by CJessB1007 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2011