Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Modifying a mediation agreement...

does anyone know ways to modify a mediation agreement (about visitation)? my attorney keeps telling me i cant but there has to be a way around this. i have very good reasons to modify. we went thru mediation in february and apparantly i signed the paper and didnt realize one certain detail was in there that i DID NOT agree to in mediation. all my attorney tells me is that ..well, you read it and signed so i cannot change it. this detail is NOT in the best intrest of my daughter and i thought that was what the most important this was...her best intrest and safety! i really need to change this before the summer. by the way, i guess it isnt even finalized yet..and i cannot get an answer on when it will be! any advise will help me, thank you!


Asked by cnv13085 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 13 (1,017 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • You can modify it. I went through hell with my daughters father and attorneys all told me I can modify well he asked for modification before I did and the funny thing is he NEVER shows up. Don't be like me. Go to the courthouse alone without an attorney if he have to. File for modification to change and make sure you have a good reason for the modification so that the judge will grant it. Its about 50 dollars and they can waive if you tell them you are low income.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • Your attorney either doesn't want your money, doesn't know the law, or doesn't care. Anything can be modified. My god, in a world where convicted killers can appeal, u bet u can modify. Contact a different attorney in the state the original modification took place.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • I Mean attorneys all told me I can't and don't

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • how do i go about this? do i have to show up in person? all court stuff must be done in georgia and i now live in florida 8 hours away.

    Comment by cnv13085 (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • Wow, I am going through this same exact thing! I just didn't know how to word it without putting all mt bussiness out because I have seen very early on that many women like to be disrespectful for no reason , but thanks. I gave you a bump I hope we both get answers!


    Answer by SMITxsM2 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

  • thank you very much! it just doesnt make sence to me that i wouldnt be able to modify when the true matter is my very real concern for my daughters saftey and well being. and it does seem that my attorney just doesnt care about my case anymore sadly.

    Comment by cnv13085 (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • It's truly heartbreaking because when you go to court or mediation you are already overwhelmed and everything seems to happen in a matter of minutes especially when you go to modify with a very real issue. I've been told that I need to show proof that MY child is in serious danger and thats the only way it will change because of course the child's father isn't going to be easygoing with anything. I really makes it even harder when they make you feel like something bad has to happen first before you can protect them!

    Answer by SMITxsM2 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • In wisconsin I downloaded a stipulation agreement online for free- had my kids dad sign it (after much threating of breaking balls) and went to the courthouse by myself on a weds and the judge just signed off. Had baby daddy NOT signed it, I still would have went to the court house on Weds and the judge would ahve looked it over, and set a court date. Very simple here. Thank God.

    Answer by JnCV at 1:41 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • Have you tried calling the person that was mediator for your case? If he/she has not finalized it then that would be your best bet for getting it changed. I was able to talk to my mediator at any time leading up to the finalization of the mediation agreement. Our mediation didn't work so I can't tell you for sure how to change it but my first step would be to contact the mediator. Hope this helps.

    Answer by momof2il at 10:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • i ahve tried but they told me i had to go thru my attorney, then she told me i cannot do anything before finalizing the agreement if the other party was not agreeing to change things.

    Comment by cnv13085 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2011