My 1 mth old kitten.....weird or normal?

Last month I got a new kitten off of a woman from craigslist. She's adjusted very well to the home, and has been a great joy in my family's lives. But there's one small problem I wanna know how to fix.

She keeps playing in the litter box and getting litter EVERYWHERE. I'm getting tired of cleaning it up several times a day, and I don't know how to fix this or if it's not normal.

Any suggestions?

jamiesmom8788

Asked by jamiesmom8788 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pets

• Get a litter box that has a cover on it. My cat did that and it was the only way we fixed the problem.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It is absolutely normal for her to be playing in her litter. The first comment is right about getting a littler box with a cover on it. It wont stop litter from coming out completely but for the most part it will. My 3 cats dont play in their litter but they still manage to get it all over the laundry room floor.
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 11:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i agree we rescued a kitten from behind walmart and we use the pinefresh and it gets all over the place. we tried the litter box with the cover but he is afraid of it. so for now i put a towel underneath it and just move the box and fold the towel in half and put the litter in the trash
    lonelymommyof2

Answer by lonelymommyof2 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• That's what I've been doing is there's a towel underneathe it, but most places don't sell just the tops....you have to buy the WHOLE thing. But I just wanted to double check and make sure it was a normal thing lol
    jamiesmom8788

Answer by jamiesmom8788 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• awww.... yes... kittens are VERY playfull..... they will play with everything.... milk rings.... shoe boxes.... litter.... bugs..... window treatments....laser lights are the best.... but then theygrow up and will have nothing to do with anything....
    BabyDio

Answer by BabyDio at 10:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Yeah....she's SO CUTE right now too....I don't want her to grow up :( lol my mom said she felt the same way with us kids lol
    jamiesmom8788

Answer by jamiesmom8788 at 2:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Ah a little box with a cover is on my gentlemen's Christmas lists. They are slobs...oh and my dog thinks little is fun.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• She's normal. Some cats like playing in their litter boxes, some don't. Usually they'll grow out of it.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Ok good cuz Im getting SO TIRED of picking it up lol
    jamiesmom8788

Answer by jamiesmom8788 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• This is normal.
    Anonymous