I read A LOT!!!, but I honestly did not know this...

Easter Edibles

Lamb

Though it may not top chocolate eggs in popularity, lamb is the most traditional of Easter eats. According to the Oxford Companion to Food, its significance is based both in Christianity and Paganism, when Easter did not exist but a celebration of the spring equinox did. In Christian theology, lamb symbolizes Jesus' self sacrifice as the "Lamb of God." But the concept of a sacrificial lamb dates back to Pagan times when lamb symbolized spring, as that was when lambs were ready for slaughter.

Full Story Link

I am a huge Lamb eater, tho it's way expensive to buy all the time and I too grew up eating it at Easter.
Tho I am Pagan now, then I was raised Christian...I honestly did not know of the history behind the Easter Meal... this is cool...   :)

LOL...  I knew the history behind the other foods mentioned in the article, just not the lamb part...LOL...
Am I the only one who honestly did not know this...???

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 11:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can understand that . In Europe , lamb is eaten much more widely than in North America. I enjoy it too , I buy the frozen New Zealand or Australian lamb which is better and much cheaper than fresh local lamb
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:01 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Globally, yes, and I know 50 years ago, that was what my Great Aunt would've served. It's just too expensive now in the US. Always amazes me watching cooking shows from Aus/NZ and Europe (their versions of masterchef/top chef/etc) that they use lamb all the time, and it's not treated with any kind of reverence. More like, oh, you made lamb curry, boring.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It also has to do with Passover, where lamb is served (often just a leg of lamb now, not usually the whole lamb!) as part of the remembered of the first Passover and the exodus from Egypt.

And Jesus is the fulfillment of the promise in Passover; the Lamb of God. As a Christian, I always wondered why my family didn't celebrate Passover and the other Jewish feasts. I am still trying to get my husband to incorporate them in for our kids.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 8:48 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I make Lamb Stew for Imbolc.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Thats pretty cool. I never knew that and I read a lot too.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 11:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• this is something I did know, actually. . . I find it fun to give out fun facts like this at holidays. . . :) love the info you gave tho. Very Cool!! :)
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 12:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I know what you mean NP... My sister actually spent the $'s for a leg of Lamb for Easter dinner this yr...
    My mother usually does too, but since she moved closer to me, there isn't much in the way of Lamb
    being sold with out a high-high price tag and I am rural area of MI... go figure...
    I guess their lamb is our beef here in the states... but I still love my lamb chops...LOL..
    gmasboy

Comment by gmasboy (original poster) at 12:12 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Growing up it was traditionally served at Easter in my family, but not anymore.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• y'know, every year, i make a 'joke' about serving the Sacrificial Lamb for Easter lunch/dinner. all i ever get is blank stares or hardy glares.
    not once has anyone ever said, ''oooh, i've never had lamb before!''..they all take it as an insult to Christ. lol..its just my own little dry wit.
    *shrugs*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

•     My DH & I had lamb for the first time; it seemed a little greasy; may have been the way I prepared it?  I Know Christ did not eat ham, so I am trying to become more Christ-like........

turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 2:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011