• In the Spotlight:

How can I get my hubby to spend more time with us and less on the computer?

I think my husband is addicted to the computer. He is on it all the time when he's home. I have to do things, like our son's bathtime, around his computer game. He doesn't think spending three hours is a long time on the comp. When I talk to him about it, he says he needs to relax and that is how he does it. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Relationships

• I would tell him how it makes you feel that he is on the computer for three hours every night. I'm thinking that it makes you feel "abandoned." I understand that he uses the computer to relax, but it's excessive. How about offering a compromise. Tell him that you understand his need to relax, but you need some of his time too, and so do the kids. Offer him this: 1 1/2 hours on the computer...and you'll leave him alone. After 1 1/2 hours he must get off the computer and get into family life with you. Remind him that he's missing out on precious time with his children! They are missing out on precious time with him!
    ShammyShell

Answer by ShammyShell at 8:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• sit down with him tell him how you feel and come to an agreement on what time he has to get off the computer.
    armyissuedwife2

Answer by armyissuedwife2 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I have that problem too, I tried talking to him but he just gets upset.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, that's what he does when I try talking to him, too :(
    Anonymous

• I start getting on the computer TOO!! just before he gets home and don't make dinner or do any chores so he can see that is what he does..
    pinkcardinal

Answer by pinkcardinal at 8:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I'd really sit him down and tell him how you feel calmly! Tell him how much it really bothers you and that you would be so grateful if he didn't do it as much! Good luck!
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I would just cancel the internet...if he can't get on he can't use the computer!
    colleensmom

Answer by colleensmom at 8:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• unplug the computer.
    happysnappy

Answer by happysnappy at 9:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• You're going to have to compromise. Tell him YOU need to relax too, but he can have as much computer time as he wants AFTER the baby goes to bed. Don't be bitchy and do anything crazy like unplug the computer b/c then you're just asking for a fight.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I have tried what ShammyShell suggested, but it isn't working. He didn't like that idea and got mad. I have been asking nicely. If I were to tell him he can't get on, he'd get really mad and a big fight would start. I try getting on the computer, but we also have a baby to take care of (who just started crawling, too). I have also tried telling him how I feel, but he didn't respond well to that either. :(
    Anonymous