What should I do ?

I recently had a baby and returned to work after my maternity leave. I returned to work and have been working for two week going on to my third week. I found out friday night that I was not going to get paid until I have a return to work doctor note. I am highly mad. I live on a tight budget. I am a mother of six. I am wondering has anyone gone throw this situation? I found out the woman in HR didn't even report to payroll that I returned to work. I can't figure out why it took her two weeks to even inform me of this situation. I had to go to extreme measures to even make it to work for the third week. I drive an hour an a half one way to work. Top it of gas prices are over the top. I will get my doctor note tomorrow. I did turn in my maternity leave paper work, on that paper work does say when I may return. I just feel violated and bullied. Any Advice will be appricated. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• WOW,my company won't let you do anyting until they have the release from he doctor. I'd ask if there was a way they could pay you out of local account until you get your regualar pay check. If the HR person, did not input your time you actually worked, she is at fault. I don't think, they can refuse to pay you for time worked doctor's note or not...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:29 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• hugs

mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 12:29 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I would keep fighting it until I get my money because HR is at fault here, not you.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• If you have worked there BY LAW you are entitled to be paid. Contact HR
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• HR is doing this to me thats the problem.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I don't think that is legal. I think you could report them some place. WHY would you need a doctor's note to come back after a baby? Never heard of that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• If you work, by law they must pay you for it. Also, maternity leave is not an injury - I never needed anything other than showing back up. Have your manager talk to her manager.
    MyMyOhMy

Answer by MyMyOhMy at 1:40 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yes, they HAVE to pay you for time worked.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Ditto - you should be paid in a timely manner, I don't think they can withhold pay.

U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division (WHD)

• Call the Wage and Hour Division's toll-free help line:

1-866-4USWAGE (1-866-487-9243)
      TTY: 1-877-889-5627
      Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time

tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Check the employee handbook; if this is not stated policy, contact your state's department of labor

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2011